[MGSA-L] Dr. Arthur G. Nikelly Annual Lecture March 2nd, 2017

Katsikas, Stefanos skatsika at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 21 15:19:27 PST 2017

Dear list members ,

Our program will hold this year's Dr. Arthur G. Nikelly annual lecture on Thursday March 2nd, 2017 at 2pm in Room 1027, Lincoln Hall, 702 South Wright St. in Urbana. Our guest lecturer this year will be Professor Sakis Gekas, York University, Canada. The topic of Prof. Gekas' lecture will be "State and Economy in the 19th-Century Mediterranean: The Case of Greece". You can find a short biographical note of Prof. Gekas and an inserted poster for this lecture below.

[cid:480c720b-0b2b-43d0-ba76-1f9f92cc580b]

Sakis Gekas is Associate Professor and Hellenic Heritage Foundation Chair of Modern Greek History and Hellenic Studies at York University. He has published on the history of the Ionian Islands and on aspects of Greek and Mediterranean economic and social history; his book Xenocracy. State, Class, and Colonialism in the Ionian Islands, 1815-1864 was published by Berghahn Books in 2017.

Dr. Stefanos Katsikas
Stefanos Katsikas, Ph.D.
Director &
Research Associate Professor
Program in Modern Greek Studies
School of Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics (SLCL)
3092D FLB | 707 South Matthews Avenue
Urbana | Illinois 61801 | USA
Office: (+ 1) 217.300.7188
Fax: (+1) 217.244.8430