[MGSA-L] Thanasis Maskaleris obituary

Theofanis Stavrou stavr001 at umn.edu
Sun Dec 3 11:13:12 PST 2017

Dear MGSA Colleagues:

I am truly sorry to hear of the passing of Thanasis Maskaleris, a valued
friend and colleague.  And thank you Gonda Van Steen for informing us of
this sad news. The obituary eloquently speaks of his legacy in our field.
I want to speak of his humanity and his loyalty to friends. I am pretty
much of the same generation as he, a gene- ration which is shrinking fast.
I have always been grateful to the pioneers of Modern Greek Studies in the
United States, and the founders of MGSA.  I remember Thanasis as always
being there when it came to promoting Modern Greek Studies, and as someone
who acted with incredible ease and good humor out it -- a wonderful human
being indeed, in every sense of the word.  One could depend on him to
deliver what he had promised, even when the faced adversity in the process
and took him longer than he wanted to live up to his promise.  Many of us
sought  his company during the MGSA meetings.  It was simply fun and
pleasant to be with him.

May he rest in peace, and may the memory of his existence keep us happy and
peaceful in this ravaging age of ours.

Allow me also to say that I am sorry I have been unable to attend the MGSA
meetings in the last few years;  but I think of you often and admire the
ongoing activities and vision of the Association.

Best wishes in all you do during the holidays and beyond.

Theofanis G. Stavrou

--

*Theofanis G. StavrouUniversity of Minnesota 612-624-5734*