[MGSA-L] FW: PAMLA Conference and Journal News

Martha Klironomos mkliro at sfsu.edu
Tue May 24 10:59:12 PDT 2016

From: News [news-bounces at lists.pamla.org] on behalf of svonkin at netzero.net [svonkin at netzero.net]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 11:25 PM
To: news at lists.pamla.org; gradstudents at pamla.org
Cc: pos2016 at lists.pamla.org
Subject: PAMLA Conference and Journal News

Dear Friends of PAMLA,

I bring you two unbelievably exciting bits of true, weighty, PAMLA “infotainment” (hyperbole is fun) to distract you from the less fun, less informative, and entirely more horrifying “infotainment” that permeates our culture, passing itself off as “journalism.”

First, if you haven’t yet done so, please take a look at the over 130 approved sessions for the 2016 PAMLA Conference to be held in Pasadena, California, over the 11-13 November 2016 weekend, at the Westin Pasadena, California. More information about the conference is available at the PAMLA website: http://www.pamla.org/2016

Go here to see the list of approved sessions and to submit a paper proposal by the June 10 deadline: http://www.pamla.org/2016/topic-areas

Oh, and if you could, would you please help us to spread the word about the upcoming June 10 paper proposal deadline for the conference by yelling out your window, “The PAMLA Conference paper proposal deadline is coming, and I’m not going to miss it anymore!”  Or, if you prefer newfangled methods, you could email or call or text your academic friends about PAMLA and the upcoming conference.

Second, did you know that PAMLA has published its very own highly-regarded scholarly journal for over fifty years: Pacific Coast Philology? Pacific Coast Philology, the journal of the Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association, has been a leading west coast literary and cultural studies journal publishing peer-reviewed essays of interest to scholars in the classical and modern languages, literatures, and cultures for over fifty years. PCP publishes two annual issues on a wide array of timely, thought-provoking topics in the areas of culture, literature, aesthetics, ideology, film, and theory. PCP's regular issue is published in the spring. Published in the fall, the Special Issue is dedicated to a special topic and edited by a guest editor. The 2017 special topic will be "Post-Family Studies," and the issue will be guest edited by Steven Gould Axelrod and me.

To learn more about how to submit a paper for consideration for the regular issue, go here: http://www.pamla.org/pacific-coast-philology

And to learn more about the “Post-Family Studies” special issue, go here: http://www.pamla.org/news/2016/05/23/cfp-special-issue-pacific-coast-philology

If you have any questions about PAMLA, about how to join PAMLA, about the upcoming PAMLA conference, or about how to help PAMLA to combat “infotainment,” please give me a call (or email or text): 626-354-7526 OR svonkin at netzero.com .

All my very best,  Craig

Craig Svonkin
Executive Director
Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association
Associate Professor of English, Metropolitan State University of Denver

Web: http://www.pamla.org
Twitter: @PAMLAorg
Find us on Facebook and LinkedIn