[MGSA-L] Yanis Varoufakis launches pan-European leftwing movement

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:24:55 PST 2016

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/10/yanis-varoufakis-launches-pan-european-leftwing-movement-diem25?CMP=share_btn_fb

Yanis Varoufakis launches pan-European leftwing movement DiEM25
Greece’s former finance minister says umbrella group will ‘shake Europe –
gently, compassionately, but firmly’

Wednesday 10 February 2016 10.44 GMT Last modified on Wednesday 10 February
2016 10.53 GMT

Share on Pinterest Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+
Comments
102
 Save for later
Former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis has launched a new
pan-European umbrella group that aims to pull together leftwing parties,
grassroots protest movements and “rebel regions” from across the continent.

At the launch on Tuesday night, Varoufakis said that the new DiEM25
movement would “shake Europe – gently, compassionately, but firmly”.
“Europe will be democratised, or it will disintegrate, and it will do so
quite fast”, the self-described “erratic Marxist” said, warning of a return
to a “postmodern version of the 1930s”.

The evening at Berlin’s Volksbühne theatre, also featured speeches from
Barcelona’s mayor, Ada Colau, British Green MP Caroline Lucas,
representatives of Germany’s Blockupy movement, as well as musician Brian
Eno, philosopher Slavoj Žižek and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. “When
parliaments become theatres, we have to turn theatres into parliaments”,
said Miguel Urbán Crespo, an MEP for Spain’s Podemos party.

In an article published in the Guardian last week, Varoufakis said the
DiEM25 group would lobby for more transparent processes in European
decision-making, including live-streaming of council meetings and full
disclosure of trade negotiation documents.

 The EU no longer serves the people – democracy demands a new beginning
Yanis Varoufakis
Yanis Varoufakis  Read more
“Our medium-term goal is to convene a constitutional assembly where
Europeans will deliberate on how to bring forth, by 2025, a full-fledged
European democracy, featuring a sovereign parliament that respects national
self-determination and shares power with national parliaments, regional
assemblies and municipal councils”, said the economist academic, who
resigned from government in July last year after a series of run-ins with
other European finance ministers.

“One simple, radical idea is our motivating force: to democratise Europe in
the knowledge that the EU will either be democratised or it will
disintegrate at a terrible cost to all.”

In the run-up to its launch, DiEM25 drew some criticism from activists,
some of them asking whether it represented an agenda already covered by
other pro-transparency and anti-austerity party groups in the European
parliament. Sven Giegold, a German Green MEP, called Varoufakis “populist
and disrespectful” in an open letter. In another open letter, a Blockupy
activist criticised DiEM25 for charging €12 (£9.30) for its launch event.

Srećko Horvat, one of the co-writers of the manifesto, told the Guardian:
“At the moment, DiEM25 is not a party, nor an organisation or thinkthank.
We consider the conventional model of political parties obsolete. Rather
than build at a national level and then expand to Europe, we are turning
that process upside down and starting a movement at an international level,
but taking into consideration existing movements and grassroots at
national, regional and local level.”

Horvat said he did not exclude the possibility that DiEM25 could form a
political grouping in the European parliament at some point down the line,
but insisted that doing so was “not the main aim” of DiEM25.

“Yes, there are other parties who call for more transparency in European
decision-making. But have they succeeded so far? No. It is only thanks to
WikiLeaks that we have a better idea what TPP-TISA-TTIP, the biggest secret
agreement in history, will entail, which is the reason why Julian Assange
is also supportive of our transparency endeavours and why we hope he will
be free soon.”

Lucas, the Green MP for Brighton Pavilion, told the Guardian she considered
DiEM25 “strong allies and partners”, and supported the movement setting
practical, short-term goals for improving the architecture of the EU.

Asked what made him feel sure that DiEM25 could succeed where movements
like Attac had not, Varoufakis replied: “Absolutely nothing. But it’s the
only way I can wake up in the morning and feel energised.”

June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd
Streetsville,Ontario
Canada L5M 2V1