[MGSA-L] Book donations

Neni Panourgia np255 at columbia.edu
Sat Apr 2 08:31:22 PDT 2016

Dear members of the list,

I hope that this message finds everyone well. I am writing with the
following request. Since the beginning of this academic year I have been
teaching at the maximum security prison at Sing Sing in a pilot program
for a new Master's degree that Columbia University is putting together
for the prison. The prison had a sorely and painfully outdated library
which now is being revamped under a new librarian. What I am asking you
now is whether you would be willing to donate copies of your books to
the library, both books that you have authored but also books that you
might have taught in your classes and of which you might have multiple
copies. The school at Sing Sing operates on all levels and offers
already two Master's degree, one in behavioral sciences and another one
in theological studies. The one offered by Columbia will be in liberal
studies. The students at the Master's level are very sophisticated and
eager to engage with challenging texts. The only restriction is that
they must be in English or Spanish, but they are open as to the subject
matter or the genre--poetry, essays, translations, all humanities and
social sciences.

I have already donated copies of the books by some of you on an
individual basis, but it would be immensely worth your while to send
more books to the library, especially if you signed them as authors. Θα
πιάσουν τόπο!

If you are willing to do this please let me know and I will give you
more detailed information as to the hows.

All best wishes and thank you for considering this.

Neni Panourgia

__________________________________

Professor Neni Panourgiá
For reasons that Melina Merkouri explained, I Never work On Sunday

2013-2016
Visiting Associate Professor
Anthropology Department
The New School for Social Research
6 East 16th Street, Office 921
Tel. 212-229-5757
New York, NY 10011

ICLS
Heyman Center for the Humanities,
Columbia University,
New York, NY 10027

Occasional Papers Editor
Journal of Modern Greek Studies
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_modern_greek_studies/toc/mgs.29.1.html

Dangerous Citizens. The Greek Left and the Terror of the State
dangerouscitizens.columbia.edu