[MGSA-L] Jean-François Bonhomme

Neni Panourgia np255 at columbia.edu
Tue Sep 8 09:41:44 PDT 2015

Dear members of the list,

It is with great sadness and deep sense of loss that I announce the
death of Jean-François Bonhomme, a close friend, eminent photographer,
and devoted friend of Greece.  Born in 1943, Bonhomme was interested in
the questions on time and space that surround the practice of
photography, and in the philosophical and literary dimensions of cinema.
He initially studied film at the French Film Institute under Noël Burch,
before pursuing his studies in philosophy at the University of Paris
VIII, mainly with Deleuze<http://monoskop.org/Gilles_Deleuze> and
Lyotard, while participating in the seminars of Roland Barthes __and
Michel Foucault at the Collège de France. Since 1982, he devoted himself
mainly to photography. He lived between Paris and Athens (or, better
said, between Paris and Markopoulo). In 1996 he collaborated with
Jacques Derrida in the volume /Athens, Still Remains: The Photographs of
Jean-François Bonhomme <http://monoskop.org/log/?p=8964>/. On Helen
Tartar's initiative the book was eventually trans. from the Greek by
Pascale-Anne Brault and Michael Naas, and was published by Fordham
University Press, New York, [1996], 2010.

In 2004 I had the good fortune to collaborate with Bonhomme in a
photographic project that was organized by the Municipality of
Markopoulo and the Benaki Museum under the title /East of Attica.
Photographs 1930-1970 /eventually published by the Benaki Museum
/(http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?lang=gr&id=20205&sid=161).
/

We have lost a great talent and a great human being.

Neni Panourgia

__________________________________

Professor Neni Panourgiá
For reasons that Melina Merkouri explained, I Never work On Sunday

2013-2016
Visiting Associate Professor
Anthropology Department
The New School for Social Research
6 East 16th Street, Office 921
Tel. 212-229-5757
New York, NY 10011

ICLS
Heyman Center for the Humanities,
Columbia University,
New York, NY 10027

Social Sciences Editor
Journal of Modern Greek Studies
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_modern_greek_studies/toc/mgs.29.1.html

Dangerous Citizens. The Greek Left and the Terror of the State
www.dangerouscitizens.columbia.edu