[MGSA-L] Article on transgression and the Greek crisis

Konstantinos Kalantzis kkalantzis at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 01:05:23 PDT 2015

Dear all,

I am taking the liberty of sending this email to let you know about an
article that just came out on Greek receptions of Germany and experiences
of the debt crisis. It might be of interest to some members of the list.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=9990678&fileId=S0010417515000432

“Fak Germani”: Materialities of Nationhood and Transgression in the Greek
Crisis--

Abstract

This essay explores Greek responses to the debt crisis, particularly
middle-class Greeks and their current experiences of Greece's putative
subordination to Germany in particular, and IMF and EU monitoring
generally. I focus on the sphere of materiality and embodiment, while also
exploring the role of desire and pleasure in Greeks’ responses to their
growing sense of subordination. Graffiti, popular protests, hip-hop
expressive culture, and sexual joking are lenses through which I examine
these themes. I also scrutinize my own positionality as a way of
understanding the bitterness and ambiguity entailed in Greek reactions to
the crisis. The essay illuminates how Greeks experience subjugation and
respond to it through explosive resort to historical comparisons, sexual
metaphors, and ill-mannered jokes.

Thanks very much.
Warm wishes,

Kostis