[MGSA-L] CFP: Duke University Graduate Conference "Where I fare well, there is my home": Migration, Past and Present, March 4, 2016

Roland Moore rolandmo at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 26 10:51:59 PST 2015

Cross-posted from H-SAE.
CFP: Duke University Graduate Conference "Where I fare well, there is my home": Migration, Past and Present, March 4, 2016

by J.A. Nealy
“Where I fare well, there is my home”: Migration, Past and Present

Graduate Student Conference March 4, 2016
Durham, NC

Migration is a global phenomenon that has had a profound influence on human history. Indeed, it is not a stretch to say that migration is an integral part of the human condition. And yet precisely because of its broad, ubiquitous nature, migration presents researchers with a number of methodological, theoretical, and ethical questions.

What does it mean to research and write a history of migration? What does migration tell us about community, association, economy, borders, and culture? How are patterns of migration influenced by global circuits of discourse, exchange, and trade? Who migrates and why? And how does depopulation affect the peoples and spaces left behind?

The Duke University graduate student conference on migration seeks to explore these questions, and more, on March 4, 2016. The conference committee welcomes proposals from a wide array of disciplines including, but not limited to, Cultural Anthropology, English, Geography, History, Literature, Political Science, and Sociology. We also welcome undergraduate submissions.

Please submit a 300-500 word abstract, working title, and CV to DukeHGC2016 at gmail.com by December 4, 2015. Successful proposals will be notified by Friday December 18, 2015. Participants should submit a draft of their conference paper no later than February 19, 2016. For further information or questions, please contact James Nealy at james.nealy at duke.edu