[MGSA-L] a new anthology

Martha Klironomos mkliro at sfsu.edu
Fri Nov 13 11:26:54 PST 2015

For colleagues and researchers in GAS:

Local Greek  Bahamian American writer, Helen Klonaris, is launching her new LGBTQ anthology, co-edited with Amir Rabiyah, 'Writing the Walls Down,' in a series of presentations beginning with one at Modern Times bookstore in SF on Nov. 19th. For more info:

https://www.facebook.com/events/926236624118437/

About the Anthology:

Writing the Walls Down explores the physical and metaphorical significance of walls within the LGBTQ community. What stories do city walls, border walls, prison walls have to tell us? What stories are stuck inside bedroom walls, kitchen walls, and the walls that separate neighbors from each other? How do these walls mirror the ones we learned to build inside our bodies? And what have been the consequences? Over 45 international writers and artists reflect on these questions and more in this groundbreaking anthology.

"This collection of poetry, fiction, non-fiction and visual art crackles with urgency, emotion and intelligence. It bursts forth from the pressurized isolation created by assumptions and ignorance, ushering into the world transformative stories that are vital to our survival."
-Jewelle Gomez, author of The Gilda Stories

Rabiyah and Klonaris have compiled works that redefine sexuality and brownness with a spirit that brings us back to the earth, and gives comfort in the atrocities of labels, lines and edges that have long confined, shamed and silenced our queer realities. Writing Down The Walls contains a cadre of troubadors who, with moxie and wisdom, redefine who we are with lyrical libation, beauty and vulnerability. Here is where an exciting mythology is born, the Genesis of a new queer fierceness in literature. These artists delve into the very canyons of their being to birth poetic truths and meditations of healing. Every piece in this anthology is packed with poignant self-reflection and gospel hymnals that inspire compassion in the cruelest times.
-Regie Cabico, co-editor of Flicker and Spark: A Contemporary Queer Anthology of Spoken Word and Poetry

Featured Artists:

Ahmunet Jessica Jordan
Moon Flower
Patricia Powell
Janine Mogannam
Amir Rabiyah
Helen Klonaris

Accessibility: Modern Times is wheelchair accessible but it is a small space.

Please come fragrance free and refrain from wearing scented products such as perfumes, colognes, oils, lotions, etc..to support those attendees with mutliple chemical sensitivies, asthma and allergies.

Other November Bay Area Launch Dates:

Launch #2 at Studio Grand in Oakland
https://www.facebook.com/events/1644256902529311/
Launch #3 at Laurel Books in Oakland: