[MGSA-L] The crisis in Greece expressed through Street Art | National Hellenic Museum

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:18:19 PDT 2015

> > GREECE TAKES ART INTO THE STREETS
> > And inspires public dialogue of social and political issues
> >
> > THE STREET IS MY GALLERY
> >
> > ". . . . a social diary in public display . . . ."
> >

> >  EXHIBITION OPEN THROUGH OCTOBER!
> >
> > Admission: $10 for adults, $8 for seniors/students. Museum members are
free.

> > Group tours available, call 312-655-1234 for more information.
> >

> > Starting as a subculture on the streets of New York in the 1970s,
ironically by a Greek American named "Taki 183", street art has evolved
into a major artistic movement, with Greece as a hub of the international
street art community.

> > In Greece, many people's lives dramatically changed during the crisis,
leading to anger and disillusionment, as well to an almost innate
resilience, sense of hope and humor. From the crisis also emerged the most
unlikely spokespeople: a thriving community of street artists.

> > Taking art into the streets, these artists created a "social diary in
public display." The Street is My Gallery highlights the work of more than
ten street artists, whose art brightens the frayed walls of abandoned
buildings in many neglected neighborhoods, mostly in the capital city of
Athens. In doing so, the artists also provid an outlet for the often raw
emotions of the people, especially the young, helping them navigate their
own reactions and views, and inspiring a flurry of creative activity and
initiatives to improve their surroundings and lives.

> > Their anger and disillusion, coupled with an almost innate resilience,
sense of hope and humor, these artists have transformed Greece into an
"international cradle" of street art.

> > For more information, go to www.nationalhellenicmuseum.org.
>
> -333 S. Halsted St., Chicago
>
> -312-655-1234
>
> -nationalhellenicmuseum.org
>
> > National Hellenic Museum | 333 South Halsted Street | Chicago | IL |
60661