[MGSA-L] Greek Economic History Association Seminars' 2014-2015_Lecture of Evrydiki Sifneos_19.1.2015

Leda Papastefanaki lpapast at cc.uoi.gr
Mon Jan 12 08:55:43 PST 2015

The Greek Economic History Association wishes you a Happy New Year and is
pleased to invite you at the lecture of Dr. Evrydiki Sifneos (National Hellenic
Research Foundation) on

The particularity of Odessa. Prerequisites for the shapping of a distinct
identity (1784-1914)

Discussant: Christine Agriantoni (University of Thessaly)

The lecture will take place on Monday, January 19, 2015 (at 15:00).
The lecture will be given in Greek.

Monday, January 19, 2015 (15:00-18:00)
Seminars’ Room, groundfloor
National Hellenic Research Foundation (NHRF)
48, Vassileos Constantinou Avenue
Athens

Metro:  Evangelismos station (Exit to Rizari)
Bus:
203, 204, 211, 214 (Bus stop: 2nd Rizari)
225, 224 (Bus stop: Evangelismos)
450, 550 (Bus stop: Rizari)
622 (Bus stop: Evangelismos)
815 (Bus stop: Evangelismos)

LECTURE ABSTRACT
My talk is an attempt to define the identity of Odessa in the late Imperial
period, and its impact on the multiple identities of its citizens. It is
based on a research project for writing a book on Odessa, its ethnic
diversity and how its inhabitants shared the spaces of the city and shaped
their relationships. It refers to a historical period during which the
Empire by failing to integrate ethnic minorities transformed their
identities from ethno-religious to national/nationalistic. I propose types
of identities, such as the compound/aggregate, the univocal/mutually
exclusive and I also observe new, hybrid identities such as the political
identity.

ABOUT THE GREEK ECONOMIC HISTORY ASSOCIATION
Founded in 1990 at Athens the Greek Economic History Association is a member of
the International Economic History Association (IEHA). The aims of the Greek
Economic History are to promote the research, development and diffusion of
economic history in Greece. The Greek Economic History Association organizes
seminars, lectures and conferences and maintains a vibrant webpage, the
Electronic Bulletin of Economic History, www.hdoisto.gr

On behalf of the Board,
Leda Papastefanaki