[MGSA-L] Fwd: Department of State's Office of the Historian releases newly digitized Foreign Relations volumes

DANIEL P. Tompkins pericles at temple.edu
Thu Feb 26 08:28:24 PST 2015

The item just came to me from a colleague at Temple University's Center for
the Study of Force and Diplomacy, a very good outfit, and it may be useful
to others working on foreign policy issues.  I've dipped into the volumes
that have become available, and find that there's a good deal about Greece,
especially perhaps in  "Eastern Europe: 1949)."

I have not found anything as textured or fascinating as in John Iatrides'
wonderful edition of the MacVeagh papers
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/0691052921/ref=rdr_ext_tmb>.  Not every diplomat
could write like MacVeagh, who reports that Venizelos sought amnesty for
the instigators of the March 1935 revolt "largely because so many of them
are now living on his wife's bounty, and though her fortune is large it is
not inexhaustible." (p.64)  That was another era, I guess.

Dan Tompkins

Today's publication of twenty digitized volumes of FRUS volumes previously
available only in paper reflects an aggressive effort of the State
Department's Historical Office to make these valuable documents more
readily accessible to both instructors and researchers. CENFAD thus wants
to ensure this press release reaches all members of our community.