[MGSA-L] Fwd: june amalia please post thanks

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:34:49 PST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Amalia Melis <amalia at aegeanartscircle.com>
Date: 17 February 2015 at 04:38

  AEGEAN ARTS CIRCLE 2015 Writing  Workshops:

Join us for our 13th year in Andros, Greece

For registration & more information, contact: info at aegeanartscircle.com

Open to published & aspiring writers, writing sample required.

[image: http://www.aegeanartscircle.com/_themes/poetic/poehorsa.gif]

*The Translation of Desire*

*Creative Non Fiction Writing Workshop with Essayist DAVID LAZAR *

*Guest:*

* Poet/Essayist ADRIANNE KALFOPOULOU*

*June 23RD - July 3RD *

Creative Nonfiction Workshop/The Translation of Desire

When we write various forms of nonfiction—personal essay, prose, poetry,
memoir.  .  . we always want something. Sometimes it’s to get closer to
understanding an idea, sometimes to get closer to some part of ourselves
that we haven’t quite figured out. Perhaps there’s a story we need to tell
that resonates in a way beyond the merely personal. We’ll explore a variety
of forms and techniques for trying to use literary nonfiction as art and
exploration, looking at some brief models by writers such as Wayne
Koestenbaum, John Berger, Abigail Thomas, Claudia Rankine and others.
About David Lazar : *David Lazar* was born in the Gravesend section of
Brooklyn, New York. He went to Bennington College and did graduate degrees
at Stanford and Syracuse and his Ph.D. at the University of Houston,
working with Hayden Carruth, Phillip Booth, Ray Carver and Phillip Lopate.

His books include Occasional Desire
<http://lazar.org/books/occasional-desire/> from the University of Nebraska
Press, *The Body of Brooklyn*and *Truth in Nonfiction, *both University of
Iowa Press, *Powder Town,* published by Pecan Grove,*Michael Powell:
Interviews* and* Conversations with M.F.K. Fisher, *both University of
Mississippi Press. Forthcoming are *After Montaigne *from the University of
Georgia Press, *Who’s Afraid of Helen of Troy *from Etruscan Press,
and  *Essaying
the Essay* from Welcome Table Press.

His essays and prose poems have appeared widely in anthologies such as *Bending
Genres*,*Understanding the Essay*, *Metawritings: Toward a Theory of
Nonfiction* and *Sentence’s An Introduction to the Prose Poem*, and
magazines such as *Gulf Coast*, *Black Clock*, *Sentence*,*Denver Quarterly*
, *Best of the Prose Poem*, and *Southwest Review*. Five of his essays have
been “Notable Essays of the Year” according to *Best American Essays*.

He created the undergraduate and Ph.D. programs in Nonfiction Writing at
Ohio University, and directed the creation of the undergraduate and M.F.A.
programs in Nonfiction Writing at Columbia College Chicago. He is the
founding editor of the literary magazine *Hotel Amerika*
<http://www.hotelamerika.net/>, now in its thirteenth year. He lives in
Chicago with his son, Delmore.

Visit DavidEssays at twitter <https://twitter.com/DavidEssays>, or view a
gallery <http://lazar.org/selected-anthologies/> some of the anthologies
he’s published in.

www.lazar.org
About Adrianne Kalfopoulou : Adrianne Kalfopoulou is Associate Professor of
Language and Literature at Hellenic American University/HAEC in Athens,
Greece. Her publications include two poetry collections, *Wild Greens*
and *Passion
Maps*, from Red Hen Press and scholarly work on Sylvia Plath in *Women’s
Studies* and *Plath Profiles*. Her newly published book, *Ruin, Essays in
Exilic Living* (2014) deals with moments that explore in Rachel Hadas’
words, “not only cities but states of mind and soul in a pulsing, fraying
time.” Awarded *Room* magazine’s prize in nonfiction for 2011, and a
“Notable Essay of the Year” in *Best American Essays*. She has taught
creative writing and literature in the Creative Writing Program at New York
University, at the University of Freiburg, and the University of
Edinburgh’s summer creative writing program.

www.adriannekalfopoulou.com

[image: AAC Logo]

*Aegean Arts Circle Creative Writing Workshops*

*www.aegeanartscircle.com <http://www.aegeanartscircle.com>*