[MGSA-L] VIRTUAL ALEXANDER

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:08:32 PST 2015

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/01/13/alexander-the-great-virtual-museum-to-be-completed-end-of-2015/

Alexander the Great Virtual Museum to be Completed End of 2015

by A. Makris - Jan 13, 2015

The virtual museum for Alexander the Great, which through the internet will
present the personality and the legacy of the Macedonian king to the whole
world, is expected to be completed at the end of 2015, archaeologist, head
of the Imathia Antiquities Ephorate and initiator of the project Angeliki
Kottaridou said at an event held at Ianos bookstore.

A five-hour documentary, seven thematic units, 304 objects which will serve
as a starting point to unfold aspects of the Hellenistic world and 3,500
texts make up the virtual museum that will run through the centuries, from
the beginning of Macedonia until the modern time references to Alexander
the Great.

Apart from the virtual museum, Kottaridou also referred to the Polycentric
Museum of Aigai, Greece, the building of which will be completed this year.
“The idea was to create an open museum that is in discourse with the
visitors and embraces the whole region. We are creating units scattered
around, a vast archaeological park of 50 hectares including the tomb
cemetery,” she explained.
She also commented on the excavation at the ancient Amphipolis site.
Kottaridi estimated that the tomb includes more than one phase and that the
findings date back to the 2nd century BC.

She also criticized the excavation team for “taking the hypothesis as a
given fact.”
“The case of Amphipolis showed us some sociological boundaries and what
happens when you consider a hypothesis a given case; the hypothesis that
Alexander’s family is there may be impressive to many people, but saying
such a thing requires strong evidence. When you do so and you cannot
support it, then you have a problem,” she said.
“If I say that this tomb is the biggest one that exists and it is not even
a tomb but a natural hill, then I probably have a problem. This means I
cannot tell what I wish for from reality. When I find a big hole in the
grave, I know it’s been tampered with or there is at least 95 percent
probability it has been tampered with. If for four months I tell reporters
it has not been tampered with and it has been so, then I have a problem. I
do not care what the political leadership says; I, as a scientist, have a
problem.”

She also ruled out the possibility of Alexander the Great being buried in
Amphipolis, Greece . “If there is something that we know, this is that
Alexander the Great is not there. When I wrote this, many people told me
this was upsetting as they wished he was buried there. I do not want to
find the deceased Alexander, I am not interested in buried bones and I do
not believe I will find any. I would rather look for his living memory,”
she noted.
(source: ana-mpa)

- See more at:
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/01/13/alexander-the-great-virtual-museum-to-be-completed-end-of-2015/#sthash.pX3RDi1J.dpuf