[MGSA-L] FW: PAMLA Special Session Proposal Call (Jan. 15, 2016 Deadline)

Martha Klironomos mkliro at sfsu.edu
Mon Dec 21 16:41:29 PST 2015

FYI.

MK
From: News [news-bounces at lists.pamla.org] on behalf of svonkin at netzero.net [svonkin at netzero.net]
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2015 4:20 PM
To: news at lists.pamla.org
Subject: PAMLA Special Session Proposal Call (Jan. 15, 2016 Deadline)

Dear PAMLA Friends and Members,

I hope this email finds you well. As you may know, the Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association (PAMLA) is hosting its 114th Annual PAMLA Conference on November 11-13, 2016, at the Westin Pasadena, in Pasadena, California (thirty minutes from downtown Los Angeles).

We’d love to have you join us at the conference. The deadline for paper proposals isn’t until early May 2016, but if you are interested in proposing a special session for the 2016 conference, the deadline to do so is coming up quickly: January 15, 2016.

Special session topics may deal with any literary, language, pedagogic, or cultural topic not covered by General (standing) Sessions, but proposals dealing with the special conference theme are especially welcome (for a list of General/Standing sessions go here: http://www.pamla.org/constitution-association ).

The conference theme for PAMLA 2016, the 114th Annual Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association Conference, is “Archives, Libraries, Properties.” (Please see http://www.pamla.org/news/2015/12/17/call-pamla-2016-special-session-proposals-“archives-libraries-properties”-deadline for more information.)

We welcome proposals for special sessions on any area or topic not covered by one of our regular, standing sessions, but we especially welcome proposals on topics related to our special conference theme, “Archives, Libraries, Properties,” ranging from such issues as intellectual property and copyright, the nature of books and texts as material and virtual objects, the changing role of the library and the collection, to broader themes related to how knowledge is organized, preserved, or represented in literary and visual cultures. This theme is meant to relate PAMLA’s conference with the many local institutions that map the intellectual geography of Southern California, from the Huntington Library to the Getty Center to its many museums.

Possible topics may include, but are not limited to: books and book production and the transformation of the book; handwriting, the typewriter, and other ways to write; collective, corporate, and individual ownership and literary tradition; the book or the page as work of art; the curation of memory.

Since PAMLA has standing sessions in general areas (such as Asian American Literature, Autobiography, Chaucer and Related Topics, Children’s Literature, Classics (Greek), Comparative Literature, Comparative Media, Composition and Rhetoric, Critical Theory, East-West Literary Relations, English (to 1700), Film and Literature, Film Studies, Germanics, and Italian) it is important to have a more specific focus in designing a special session, to engage the special theme, or to focus on an important area of study not yet covered by on of PAMLA’s Regular/Standing sessions.

To propose a special session, please send your name, affiliation, email, proposed session title, brief abstract (50 words), and a longer (100-200 word) proposal for your proposed session to Professor Andrea Gogrof (Western Washington University) by the extended deadline of January 15, 2016: agogrof at gmail.com (Please send this information to Andrea as a Word attachment, to be sure your information arrives as you wish it to).

Should your special session be approved, you will become the session’s presiding officer, which will mean you will be responsible for working with me on the session’s design and execution, for publicizing the session, inviting potential participants to submit proposals, and for judging and accepting or declining  paper proposals. PAMLA members will have until early May to propose a paper for the session, using PAMLA’s online submission system.

Professor Gogrof will be in touch with all proposers before the end of January concerning their proposals.

Please contact PAMLA 1st VP Andrea Gogrof (agogrof at gmail.com) or PAMLA Executive Director Craig Svonkin with any further questions (svonkin at netzero.com ).

Finally, the online payment system to join PAMLA for the 2016 calendar year will open in late January or early February of 2016. Please check the pamla.org website in late January 2016 to pay your PAMLA membership dues.

All my very best,

Craig

Craig Svonkin
Executive Director
Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association
Associate Professor of English, Metropolitan State University of Denver

Web: http://www.pamla.org
Twitter: @PAMLAorg
Find us on Facebook and LinkedIn