[MGSA-L] Secularism and Religion in Greece

Saffo Papantonopoulou saffo at email.arizona.edu
Mon Dec 7 18:04:13 PST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I hope it is appropriate to ask on the listserv, but I would like to ask if
anyone can recommend any sources for me. I am still pretty new to the field
of Modern Greek Studies, so I figured here would be a good place to ask a
question.

I am writing to ask for recommendations for sources on the issue of
secularism and religion in Greece. Please feel free to respond to me
individually so as not to clog the listserv.

I am trying to research issues of religion and state power in Greece. I am
interested in any sources that look at the history of secularization, the
creation of the Church of Greece, the relationship between the Church of
Greece and the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and especially the
relationship between the Church of Greece and the Ministry of Religion.
Also, any sources that specifically focus on the internal structures of
both the Church of Greece and the Ministry of Religion would be especially
appreciated. If you could recommend any sources that deal with these
subjects, it would be enormously appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Saffo Papantonopoulou
PhD Student, Middle East Studies and Anthropology
University of Arizona