[MGSA-L] Free lecture at the Tsakopoulos Hellenic Collection Apr. 28

Paganelis, George I paganelis at csus.edu
Tue Apr 21 14:49:58 PDT 2015

Apr. 28, 2015

LIBRARY RESEARCH FELLOW PRESENTATION

“Music Treasures from the Demakopoulos Collection”

The Tsakopoulos Hellenic Collection invites you to join us for a lecture by 2014-2015 Library Research Fellow
Prof. Stavroula (Avra) Xepapadakou, Lecturer, Dept. of Philology, Division of Music and Theatre Studies, University of Crete.

"The Demakopoulos music collection is a rich private archive of sheet music, musical scores, albums and vinyl records. Its contents form an extended overview of Modern Greek art and urban-popular music of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. In this presentation we shall examine paradigms from the collection of the most important historical landmarks of Greek musical creation (Ionian Music School, National School, Avant-Garde, Modernism, Urban-popular songs etc) and meet the leading composers, artists and performers (such as Nikolaos Chalikiopoulos Mantzaros, Pavlos Carrer, Spyros Samaras, Manolis Kalomiris, Nikos Skalkotas, Dimitris Mitropoulos, Maria Callas, Ianis Xenakis, Manos Hadjidakis, Mikis Theodorakis, Dionyssis Savopoulos, et al.). We shall also focus on representative music works and will enrich our discussion with selected music samples."

Tuesday, Apr. 28, 2015
Senator Nicholas Petris Room, Library 3023 (3rd floor)
Tsakopoulos Hellenic Collection, University Library

Schedule of Events:
7:00 – 8:30 p.m. presentation and discussion
8:30 p.m. light refreshments

The presentation and refreshments are free and open to the public. Funding for the Library Research Fellowship Program has been made possible by a generous grant from the Elios Charitable Foundation.

Print out a parking permit (PDF document) to use for the evening (coming soon).

For further information, contact George I. Paganelis at (916) 278-4361 or paganelis at csus.edu<mailto:paganelis at csus.edu>.
To unsubscribe from our e-mail list, please reply with the subject “unsubscribe.”

Best,
George I. Paganelis

George I. Paganelis
Curator, Tsakopoulos Hellenic Collection
University Library #3025
California State University, Sacramento
2000 State University Drive
Sacramento, CA 95819-6039
Ph: (916) 278-4361 * Fax: (916) 278-5917
paganelis at csus.edu<mailto:paganelis at csus.edu>
http://www.library.csus.edu/tsakopoulos