[MGSA-L] new book on water

Gail Lillian Holst-Warhaft glh3 at cornell.edu
Mon Sep 29 09:07:43 PDT 2014

  A new book on water in the Middle East and Mediterranean has a strong focus on Greece. A section of the book is the result of research carried out in Lasithi province from 2008 onward, and another section deals with environmental activism inspired by the pollution of the Asopos and Acheloos rivers.

The research we have been carrying out on water problems in the Middle East and Mediterranean was funded by the Atkinson Center at Cornell. In 2010 Gail Holst-Warhaft and Tammo Steenhuis published the first phase of their research with Ashgate Press in a book called Losing Paradise: The Water Crisis in the Mediterranean. The final result of their research is volume that extends the regional focus of our research to include Algeria, the MENA region, Syria, Palestine and Israel. Water Scarcity, Security, and Democracy: A Mediterranean Mosaic  is published by the Atkinson Center and Global Water Partnership-Mediterranean and has finally been completed. At present it is available only in electronic format.
See the link below.

o   http://www.acsf.cornell.edu/Assets/ACSF/docs/research/20140925-GWP-MED-PUBLICATION-ONLINE.pdf

Gail Holst-Warhaft
Adjunct Professor
Comparative Literature, Biological and Environmental Engineering
Cornell Institute for European Studies
Director, Mediterranean Studies Initiative
120 Uris Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-7601
607-255-1554
glh3 at cornell.edu<mailto:glh3 at cornell.edu>