[MGSA-L] The Master's Voice - Translation question - Koulouriotis

Neni Panourgia np255 at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 16 10:58:32 PDT 2014

Karen,

This must be from Dino Pappas's collection (it looks like his
hand-writing on the label) and Steve Frangos has done immense work on
it. He can be found at the Hellenic Museum in Chicago (I think) and he
writes regularly in the Herald.

It's interesting, though, that Guy would consider the music "more Jewish
or Albanian"  since such hard distinctions rarely exist in border music.
But it also shows how little is known about the music of the area and
the era....

np/

--
__________________________________

Professor Neni Panourgiá
For reasons that Melina Merkouri explained, I Never work On Sunday

2013-2015
Visiting Associate Professor
Anthropology Department
The New School for Social Research
6 East 16th Street, Office 927
Tel. 212-229-5757, ext 2065
New York, NY 10011

ICLS
Heyman Center for the Humanities,
Columbia University,
New York, NY 10027

Social Sciences Editor
Journal of Modern Greek Studies
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_modern_greek_studies/toc/mgs.29.1.html

Dangerous Citizens. The Greek Left and the Terror of the State
www.dangerouscitizens.columbia.edu