[MGSA-L] Princeton Hellenic Studies Events: Fall 2014

Dimitri H. Gondicas gondicas at Princeton.EDU
Tue Oct 7 12:40:16 PDT 2014

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY
Seeger Center for Hellenic Studies
http://www.princeton.edu/hellenic/

Dear colleagues and friends,

This academic year, 2014-15, we are celebrating our 35th anniversary of Hellenic Studies at Princeton.

Below please find our events planned for fall 2014.

An announcement will be sent to our e-list a week in advance of each event.

Some additional events are being planned. For updated information on speakers, titles, dates/times, please visit our web site.

We welcome your participation at our events.  We hope you can join us.

Dimitri Gondicas
Director

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY
Seeger Center for Hellenic Studies

Events: Fall 2014

-              Tuesday, October 7, 2014, 4:00 p.m., Lecture:  Aslıhan Akışık Karakullukçu, "Herodotos in the Renaissance: Plethon and Laonikos Chalkokondyles"

-              Monday, October 13, 2014, 6:00 p.m., Reading:  Adrianne Kalfopoulou, "Ruin: Essays in Exilic Living"

-              Friday, October 17, 2014, 1:30 p.m., Workshop:  Ioannis Stouraitis, "In the Shadow of the Nation: A Critical Approach to the Issue of 'Byzantine' Identity"

-              Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 6:00 p.m., Lecture:  Anna Corrias, "Perceiving, Remembering, and Giving Birth: The Power of Imagination in Marsilio Ficino's Commentary on Plotinus's Enneads"

-              Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 6:00 p.m., Lecture:  Angelos Dalachanis, "Jobs at Stake: Market Challenges for Greeks in Mid-20th Century Egypt"

-              Wednesday, November 12, 2014, 6:00 p.m., Lecture:  Theocharis Tsampouras, "Shedding Light on an Unexplored Chapter of Balkan Art: The Travelling Painters from Mount Grammos"

-              Friday, November 14, 2014, 1:30 p.m., Workshop:  Sevasti-Eva Fotiadi, "Art Works, Stories, Objects, Relations: Recollecting the Myth of Alexander Iolas"

-              Sunday, November 16, 2014, 4:00 p.m., Concert: "New Greek Songs: Cycles in Tradition"

-              Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 4:30 p.m., Lecture: Kostis Karpozilos, "Postwar Transition Within a War: The Crossing Paths of an American Journalist and a Greek Communist 1944-1950"

-              Friday, November 21, 2014, 1:30 p.m., Workshop: Petr Shuvalov, "Rethinking the Enemy, Secret Strategy and Tactics: Development of the Text of One Early Byzantine Military Treatise"

-              Monday, November 24, 2014, 6:00 p.m., Lecture:  Vaios Liapis, "Tragedy's Solace: Aeschylus, Seferis, and the Greek Civil War"

-              Thursday, December 4, 2014, 5:30 p.m.,  Class Trip Presentation:  "A Hellenic Journey: From Text to Context"

-              Saturday, December 6, 2014, all day, Workshop:  "Hagiography and Counter-Culture in the Latin West, Byzantium, Sasanid Iran, and the Islamic Middle East"

-              Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 4:30 p.m., Lecture:  Mary Gallagher, (topic: Lafcadio Hearn and Greece / title: TBA)