[MGSA-L] KARAOLIS AND BRITISH COLONIALISM IN CYPRUS

George Gedeon g.gedeon at sympatico.ca
Thu May 22 07:52:32 PDT 2014

It is all speculation George whether Turkey would or not have invaded in the 50s if GB had agreed to Enosis.

If I am not mistaken, GB, Turkey and Greece had signed an agreement to guarantee Cyprus' independence and all or any of the three parties had the right to intervene in case either party or anyone else threatened the island's independence.

As for honouring our heroes, I have no problems with honouring Karaolis but we should remember that he was executed for assassinating a law and order officer and not for belonging to a Greek nationalist organization or wanting Cyprus to unite with Greece.