[MGSA-L] May 10, 1956: The anniversary of the execution of two Greek freedom fighters

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Tue May 20 15:28:56 PDT 2014

I am, as usual, just a little confused by the various arguments put forth
by Mr. Caratzas

He is apparently laying claim to clear language

''In this context it is difficult to understand how much more "precise and
accurate in one's language" can be and remain scholarly."

In support of his comments he seems to conflate two concepts

First he says ' ....strictly in terms of legal science, the inhabitants of
British-occupied Cyprus were not Greek citizens "

Then he states "....there is little doubt that, at least the Orthodox
Christians of the island were Greek, clearly with local idiosyncrasies --
about 85% of the population."

This ambiguity is created because the term "Greek" is being used - more or
less simultaneously - to denote either "citizenship" [a legal status]   or
"ethnicity" [a more fluid situation defined by linguistics, faith politics
and presumed genetic origin] and they don't, neccessarily mean the same
thing at all.

So I feel, like Alice, that I have fallen through the looking glass and
found Humpty Dumpty

<<<"‘When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, ‘it
means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.'

‘The question is,' said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many
different things."

‘The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master—that's
all.'">>>
June Samaras