[MGSA-L] May 10, 1956: The anniversary of the execution of two Greek freedom fighters

Allen, Peter S. PAllen at ric.edu
Mon May 12 15:37:03 PDT 2014

I perhaps misspoke when I said it is “irrelevant.”  Of course, self-identity is important, but it is only one element in the larger universe of “identity.”  As I also said in my post, identity is very tricky and can be situational, can be mercenary, can be opportunistic, etc.  There are lots of factors.  The point I was trying to make is that one’s self identification is not the last word.  At the risk of provoking Mr. Caratzas’s wrath for using another extreme example, I would point out that there are people on this planet who claim to be aliens from outer space. We would be ill advised to take that self-identification at face value.  Likewise, we always have to subject any self-identification to scrutiny.

Peter Allen

Peter S. Allen
Department of Anthropology
Rhode Island College