[MGSA-L] Fwd: Italy: International Day for the Greek Language

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 13:03:24 PDT 2014

Italy: International Day for the Greek Language

Culturenewsby Ioanna Zikakou - Mar 28, 2014

The Federation of Greek Communities and Brotherhoods of Italy (FCCEI) is
collecting signatures for the introduction of an international day
dedicated to Greek language and Greek culture.

“The time has come to support the Greek language, particularly in places
where the Greek language survives, where people retain the foremost element
of cultural identity, the language of their ancestors, respecting its
historical continuity and its roots,” stated the Federation.

In addition to collecting signatures from local Greek Communities, bodies
of the Greek Diaspora and Philhellenic Associations, the Federation
proposed to set up a Greek Diaspora Organizing Committee to promote this
initiative at an international level.

The Federation will launch a contest entitled “Our Fatherland is the Greek
language, the language of freedom and thought.”

“We are convinced that the Greek language promotes culture and the Diaspora
needs to spread the knowledge of Greek, since the future of our language is
connected with the very future of Hellenism,” concluded the Federation of
Greek Communities and Brotherhoods of Italy.

- See more at:
http://eu.greekreporter.com/2014/03/28/italy-international-day-for-the-greek-language/#sthash.Ak7c7xbp.dpuf

--
June Samaras