[MGSA-L] Princeton Hellenic Studies Workshop: March 28, 2014

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:22:12 PDT 2014

As a half-Pontian -- who nonetheless has not traveled to Pontus so far -- I
was under the impression that Turkey promotes the idea that the 'true
Pontians' are the ones left in Pontus; the text below, stating among other
things that the Pontian lyra was marginalised by the Turkish state for many
decades, clears things up considerably :-)

[Watching public performances in Pontus on youtube ... I was always
intrigued by the number of Turkish flags present at such events ...
attributing the phenomenon to 'ethnic uncertainties' of the local people
due to their (grand)parents' often 'Romeic' tongue ... until I saw local
musicians in Sille* -- the town near Konya where my other half comes from
-- surrounded by Turkish flags, too :-)) ]

*enjoy them in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAFs44DJ3vs ... and if
someone can confirm for me that the rythm/melody involved is quite related
to a Greek song, as I strongly suspect, please do!

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Dimitri H. Gondicas <gondicas at princeton.edu

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)