[MGSA-L] Working Without Pay A Reality For Much Of Greece's Labor Force

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 17:03:39 PDT 2014

Working Without Pay A Reality For Much Of Greece's Labor Force
by JOANNA KAKISSIS

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/03/15/283995626/working-without-pay-a-reality-for-much-of-greeces-labor-force

March 15, 2014 4:00 PM

Listen to the Story

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=283995626&m=290492666

All Things Considered 5 min 42 sec

Alexandra Tsitoura (left) and Nikos Aivatzidis walk through now-empty
Hellenic Shipyards in Athens, Greece. Two years ago, the shipyard employed
around 1,100 workers. Alexandra and her husband Nikos have had jobs at
Hellenic Shipyards for 10 and 31 years, respectively, but have not received
neither a paycheck nor any form of severance for the past two years.

Tsitoura visits her old workplace, where she was a secretary at Hellenic
Shipyards. As Greece's economy continues to buckle under the weight of
massive government debt, some Greeks are relying on their ties to family
and friends to put food on the table and provide other basic necessities.

. For Aivatzidis and Tsitoura, providing for their children is a communal
effort. They receive help from both their parents, in particular the
pension of Nikos' father, sharing meals and other expenses, and
occasionally from friends who are faring better.
Holly Pickett for NPR
The Hellenic Shipyards now remains empty of ships and workers. Two years
ago, the shipyard stopped paying its approximately 1,100 employees.
Greece's economy continues to buckle under the weight of massive government
debt, with record unemployment. Some estimates put the jobless rate at 28
percent and nearly 60 percent for workers under the age of 25.
 Tsitoura picks wildflowers while on a visit at Hellenic Shipyards. "If I
can't bring my children my wages, at least I can bring them some flowers,"
she said with a laugh.

Tsitoura's mother Maria, visiting from her home in Kalamata, helps Dimitris
with homework. "From an early age, the parents are saying, 'Study, study!'
" Tsitoura said. "We want them [our children] to be somebody, but there are
so few opportunities."

For nearly 30 years, Nikos Aivatzidis got up at the crack of dawn to drive
from his home in central Athens to his human resources job at Hellenic
Shipyards, near Greece's port of Piraeus.

"I'd walk into the entrance and marvel as I watched [6,000] or 7,000 people
heading into work with me," he says. "This place was like its own city."

Now this place is deserted. Many of the roughly 1,000 workers still
officially on the payroll stopped showing up after the company stopped
paying them in April 2012.

But Aivatzidis holds on.

On a recent morning, the 51-year-old father of three and his 38-year-old
wife, Alexandra Tsitoura, pull up their 9-year-old Fiat outside an empty
office building.

Tsitoura also works at Hellenic Shipyards. Together, she and her husband
used to make around $3,000 a month.

As they get out of the car, they're greeted by a pack of stray dogs,
looking for food. "My co-worker used to feed them," Aivatzidis says. "But
she stopped coming to work."

Aivatzidis keeps coming in hopes that he and his wife will eventually get
paid. And he has another reason for showing up at the shipyard at least
twice week.

"I can't quit this job because I will lose my severance pay after 30 years
of work," he says. "I can't justify that."

About 20 percent of Greek workers are trapped in the same dilemma. Many,
like Aivatzidis, hold on because they know finding another job at a time
when the unemployment rate is 28 percent is virtually impossible.

Leaning On Family For Help

Unlike other European countries, Greece has never had a strong social
safety net, so the poor have traditionally relied on family and friends.
Four years into a crushing debt crisis, nearly half of the Greek labor
force is either out of work or working without pay.

Like many couples in Greece these days, Aivatzidis and Tsitoura have tapped
out their savings since they stopped getting paychecks. They now rely on
their parents' pensions to buy groceries and pay bills. They had to stop
paying their mortgage.

His cellphone rings constantly, to the tune of "Johnny B" by The Hooters.

"It's the collection agencies," he says, looking at the number on the
screen. "I'm not going to answer it. I get agitated because they ask me
questions that I can't answer, like when I am going to make a payment on
mortgage."

Aivatzidis is relieved that the government has extended a moratorium on
foreclosures. His elderly mother, Fani, who lives next door, often shares
her big pots of bean soup or pans of roasted vegetables.

And Tsitoura's 75-year-old mother, Maria, chips in by bringing meat, olive
oil and fresh eggs on her monthly visits from her home in southern Greece.

Maria, a jovial woman with a bouffant of curly hair, says she is also
helping her son Vassilis, who's an accountant. Most of his clients haven't
paid him in two years, she says.

"Every month, my husband counts out his pension on the counter," she says.
"And each time, he says, 'Look, they cut out 20 euros or 40 euros.' And so
every month, we have less to work with."

On a recent evening, the extended family gathers in Athens for a dinner of
orzo pasta, tomatoes and bread — no meat. Tsitoura likes making dinner with
whatever fresh and cheap produce is in season.

She washes the dishes as her children — daughter Fani and sons Dimitris and
Mario — brush their teeth.

"We try not to show the children that we're worried," she says. "We try to
give them what they need."

Their one luxury is attending free traditional dance lessons at an
association of Black Sea Greeks across town. They just need gas to get
there.

Willing To Work

Their troubles started when Hellenic Shipyards could no longer pay its
bills. The owner, Abu Dhabi Mar, is in a contractual dispute with the
debt-ridden Greek government over what the state should pay for the
submarines.

But Manos Matsaganis, a professor at the Athens University of Economics and
Business, says the crisis has squeezed many firms in Greece.

"Some of the firms have come to an accommodation with the workers, telling
them, 'Look, we don't want to close, we want you to survive, and we don't
want you to lose your job,' " Matsaganis says, " 'But on the other hand, we
can't pay you. ... We will pay you eventually, hopefully. Would you like to
keep working for no money for a while?' "

Back at the shipyard, Aivatzidis and Tsitoura stop by to see co-workers
guarding the partially finished submarines that cost Greek taxpayers
billions of dollars. All but one of the submarines now languish in dry dock.

Panagiotis Karantzidis, a wiry, intense 44-year-old technician, spent years
working on them. "I want to work so badly," he says. "My hands are strong.
I am strong. I have at least 10 years of good work left in me."

Aivatzidis comforts him and walks outside to the vast, empty shipyard where
he has spent most of his adult life. Aivatzidis considers himself lucky;
some of his co-workers are going to soup kitchens or are sitting in dark
homes because their electricity has been shut off.

"Maybe I still have hope and I'm patient I'll get paid because we're not
yet at that point where poverty has totally taken us under," he says.

He unlocks the door to his abandoned office and walks along a hallway lined
with dead plants and a timecard machine that's out of order.

He sits at his desk, which is piled high with binders and file folders. He
has to process the paperwork of the few employees who have quit the
shipyard — many to take jobs overseas.

--
June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd