[MGSA-L] Katharevousa translation

Roland Moore rolandmo at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 22 09:52:03 PST 2014

From: David Phillips dfp18 at columbia.edu

Katharevousa Translation
am the series editor of a small scholarly publication series, a program of the
Flag Heritage Foundation.  Here’sa link to
the publications page on our website:   http://www.flagheritagefoundation.org/publications/
have a document in katharevousa which
I need translated, in order to publish it later this year.  It is a booklet, published in Athens in 1914,
called Ο Δικεφαλος Αετος του Βυzαντιου.  There are 67 pages in the booklet, but they
are half size, and there are embedded pictures too, so I would estimate this
work takes up about 30 full-size pages.
The
footnotes need to be translated, but anything in a language other than Greek
can be left for me to translate.  Translator’s footnotes providing context or amplification of text would
be welcome additions.  The translator’s credit will appear on the
cover and the title page; I also plan to include a picture and short blurb
about the translator, as I will about the author if I can find material on him
(I hope the translator can help here in Greek reference sources).
Three
things are important here:
      1.      As noted, the text is in katharevousa.  No one not already at home in katharevousa should attempt this
project.
      2.      I do
not expect the translation to be in perfect English.  Greek is the translator’s job, but English is
my job.  I expect to edit the translation
to my own standards of contemporary English.
3.      But to do
this I will need to submit comments and questions to the translator about
individual words and phrases.  What is
the Greek word translated as _____?  I
have changed ______ to ______: Is this consistent with the Greek?  The job includes answering my queries; a
translation cannot be done without this step.  I cannot read Greek myself, much less katharevousa.  Work and
queries/replies are to be exchanged by e-mail.
have provided a short sample – it will be found in the attachments.  The sample is only the section
headed with the Roman numeral II.  If you
are interested in this project, I would be grateful if you would let me know,
and then send a draft translation of the short sample to me at dfp18 at columbia.edu.  The scans should of course be enlarged before
reading, as they are transmitting at 22%.
leave for Europe April 6, and I hope to have a first draft of the translation
completed by May 12, when I return.  We
have budgeted an honorarium of $2000 for this work (plus some free copies), and
wish it could be more.  Please feel free
to e-mail me, or call me at 415-753-6190 to discuss.  Thanks.
David F. Phillips
Series Editor
Monograph and Translation
Series

See attachments, uploaded to MGSA.org because of their size:

http://mgsa.org/pdfs/Katharavousa_Translation.doc

http://mgsa.org/pdfs/ScanA.jpg

http://mgsa.org/pdfs/ScanB.jpg

Many thanks.