[MGSA-L] Fwd: Έλληνες στον Καύκασο. Ενημέρωση για κυριακάτικα εφιερώματα στον Τύπο

Christos D. Katsetos cd_katsetos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 15:02:50 PST 2014

As a footnote to the scholarly treatise by historian Dr. Vlassis Agtzidis,
I should like to call attention to the fact that the majority of Greeks of the
Azov region were not Greek-speaking (which does not negate their Greek
Orthodox origin and in many cases this day, their Greek Orthodox identity).

Ten years ago I had brought up in this list one of the neglected areas pertaining
to the ethnography of Romiosyne, viz. Urum (Turkic language)-speaking Greeks
of Mariupol. The term Urum is akin to Rum and may be traceable to Ρωμαίος
(although this remains a subject of debate - vide infra).
http://maillists.uci.edu/mailman/public/mgsa-l/2003-September/002303.html

(unfortunately, the link is no longer working).

On the subject of Tatar-speaking Greeks, I recall some stimulating discussions
with geographer Dr. Dennis (Dionysis) Grammenos offlist.

For the dialectology of the Urum language of the North Azov, of possible
interest are the published works by Professor Irina Ponomaryova of Mariupol State
University, Ukraine, one of the leading authorities on the subject.

_THE ETHNIC HISTORY OF THE GREEKS OF MARIUPOL: PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS_
http://www.history.univ.kiev.ua/ethnology/journal/ethnic_history_14/14_15.pdf

_THE AZOV URUMS: HISTORY, CULTURE, MIGRATION_
(ALMANACH VIA EVRASIA, 2013, 2)
http://www.viaevrasia.com/documents/21.%20IRINA%20PONOMAREVA.%20THE%20AZOV%20URUMS%20-%20HISTORY,%20CULTURE,%20MIGRATION%20.pdf

Also, of possible interest is the _Greek Tatar-English Glossary_  edited by
Baruch Podolsky, Mediterranean Language and Culture Monograph Series,
Otto Harrassowitz - Wiesbaden, 1985

FOOTNOTES

Members of the Greek population of Azov had diverse origins, including
from Macedonia (see below).

From an old posting of mine in MGSA-L going back to 2003

http://maillists.uci.edu/mailman/public/mgsa-l/2003-September/002303.html

The excerpts of the epic songs below are from the thesis of E.V. Khadzhynov
entitled _Song's folklore of Romeans of Donbass_.

http://azov.nostos.gr/en/folklore.htm

(Historical Romean [Ρωμαίικα] songs are divided into two groups:
borrowed up to the resettlement and after the resettlement in Crimea.
The songs of the former group may be further subdivided into three
historical periods: 1. Byzantine period, 2. Period of enslavement of the
Crimean Greeks by Tatars and Turks, and 3. Resettlement from Crimean
Chanate.)

Simera mavro ourano,
Simera mavri mera,
Simera ouli klegoune
Ke ta vouna lipoune.

Today [is] black palate,
Today [is] black day,
Today everyone cries
And [the] mountains are sad.

Below is an excerpt from a "heroic" song about the liberation struggle of
the Greeks of Crete:

Haere, Kriti pinameni...
Ilthi I lambri sou mera
Ilthi i ora I hrisi!

Salutes to you, ravaged Crete...
The brilliant day has come,
The golden time has come!
(Shpak P.N. born in 1904 in Makedonovka)

RELATED LINK

Official website of Azov Greeks nowadays.
http://www.azovgreeks.org/

Christos D. Katsetos, MD, PhD, FRCPath
http://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/AboutOurFaculty/ChristosKatsetos.aspx
http://www.stchristophershospital.com/find-a-physician/120