[MGSA-L] Fwd: Golden Dawn Abuse of History: Sparta

DANIEL P. Tompkins pericles at temple.edu
Mon Dec 29 21:54:56 PST 2014

Thanks to Mr. McInerney.  Doing the stratigraphy on this thread, I note
that I'm the person who introduced, and the only one who used, "nasty," in
reference to Alexander Clapp's essay.  I also said it was "fine," which
leaves me in a gridlock of epithets for which I alone am responsible.

I did and do think it was a *fine* essay, a textured, detailed presentation
of the daily activity of Golden Dawn.  "Nasty" was my response to Katsetos'
critique, referring to comments in the Clapp essay like this:

In some parts of the Mani, 50 per cent of the villagers have voted for the
party. 'Maniatika', a section of Piraeus settled by Maniot families in the
1950s, is probably the most Dawn-heavy neighbourhood in the whole of
Greece. No other far-right Greek party - LAOS, Independent Greeks - has a
regional backing of this sort.

I should have said not "nasty" but  "harshly negative," which is
appropriate for the comment above, and somewhat distinguishes it from the
Hodkinson-Cartledge letter.   I apologize for using language carelessly.

I think Mr. Gavrilidis' comment,  that  Golden Dawn's "highest score" was
"in Lakonia (15,48%)," requires attention, because it indicates that *84.52%
of Lakonians did not support the party*, and can't be accused of
subscribing to its ideology (which is presented quite vividly on this video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejm-nmOwW9A> -- to which readers can
supply their own epithets).

I have looked for, but not found, a village that gave 50% support to Golden
Dawn.  It would be worthwhile to have a source for that particular claim.

Looking back over the thread, I see many positives:  several people
expertly and correctly pointed out that Golden Dawn falsely claims
connection with ancient Sparta;  Mr. Clapp has shown us Golden Dawn in
action, and pointed to its claimed favored region in Greece, and Mr.
Gavrilidis has backed that up with data, while Mr. Katsetos has warned
 that Lakonia as a whole should not be smeared -- as the 84.52% figure
indicates.

I've benefited from all of these posts, including Mr. McInerney's, and am
glad to acknowledge my own error, which risks distracting us from the
really important topic of the surge in extreme right-wing groups, some with
troubling international connections
<http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/12/26/371670726/europes-far-right-and-putin-get-cozy-with-benefits-for-both>,
in several European countries.

Best,