[MGSA-L] Golden Dawn Abuse of History: Sparta

DANIEL P. Tompkins pericles at temple.edu
Fri Dec 26 13:11:32 PST 2014

Thanks for this useful comment on Lakonia.  I'm glad to have it.

Checking back over the documents at the start of this exchange, I see that
Cartledge and Hodkinson aren't nasty about the Mani.  That is the work
of Alexander
Clapp <http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n23/alexander-clapp/diary>, who gives
specifics about Golden Dawn enrollments and reception, e.g. in elections.
I've no idea whether these claims are accurate or inaccurate, and would
welcome further information.

A disproportionate number of those in the top ranks come from the Mani, a
small spit of land in the southern Peloponnese, roughly half the size of
Cornwall. Golden Dawn has close ties with the region. Michaloliakos is
descended from a famous Maniot clan; a great-grandfather was a hero in the
1821 Revolution. Maniots have nicknamed the Dawn the *Maniatiko Komma*, the
'Maniot Party'. Priests in Gytheio blessed the opening of the town's Dawn
chapter; the bishop of Sparta enjoins his parish to vote Dawn. When Dawn
MPs travel to Areopoli, they are welcomed as celebrities; approving crowds
attend their meetings; shots are fired from antique pistols. In some parts
of the Mani, 50 per cent of the villagers have voted for the party.
'Maniatika', a section of Piraeus settled by Maniot families in the 1950s,
is probably the most Dawn-heavy neighbourhood in the whole of Greece. No
other far-right Greek party - LAOS, Independent Greeks - has a regional
backing of this sort.

Best,

Dan

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Christos D. Katsetos <cd_katsetos at yahoo.com