[MGSA-L] MGSA symposium CfP -Jan 15 deadline! ...and details

Roland Moore rolandmo at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 5 12:19:03 PST 2014

http://mgsasymposium.org/cfp.html

MGSA Symposium, October 15-18, 2015, Atlanta, Georgia

Scholars in Modern Greek Studies from across North America and Europe will gather in Atlanta, GA on October 15-18, 2015, for the 24th Biennial Symposium of the Modern Greek Studies Association (MGSA), the largest professional organization for Hellenic Studies in the world. Some two hundred international scholars are expected to attend the conference, which typically features more than eighty presentations, a keynote address, music concerts, film screenings, and more. Some of the program highlights will be announced well in advance on the symposium website, which can be accessed via http://mgsasymposium.org .

"It is a tremendous honor for our program to have been selected to host the 2015 MGSA Symposium," said Louis A. Ruprecht Jr., Director of the Center for Hellenic Studies, William M. Suttles Chair in Religious Studies at Georgia State University, and Chair of the MGSA’s Local Arrangements Committee. "This is the largest event in North America dealing with Modern Greek Studies, and I am especially pleased that the MGSA recognized the commitment of the College of Arts and Sciences in promoting International Studies as a part of its new Global Studies Institute. We look forward to hosting friends from Greece and Cyprus, as well as from around the world, and I am confident that our local Greek community will display the hospitality for which it is so well known."

Neovi Karakatsanis, President of the MGSA, concurred: “We are very excited to be partnering with the Center for Hellenic Studies to bring the Symposium of the Modern Greek Studies Association to Georgia State University.  Given the Center's thriving cultural and academic mission, its dedicated leadership, its supportive community, as well as the vibrant, historical setting of Atlanta, we anticipate a most successful 24th Biennial Symposium.  We are deeply indebted to Professor Ruprecht for his warm invitation to us and our many members from around the world, and we look forward to this Symposium in America's most beautiful southeast.”

The Symposium will be hosted by the MGSA’s Local Arrangements Committee consisting of members of GSU’s Center for Hellenic Studies, the Center for Collaborative and International Arts, and the Global Studies Institute. This Committee collaborates with the MGSA’s Program Committee and Executive Board to present a 2,5 day program of scholarly presentations and other exciting events. The public is most welcome to attend, but advance registration is advised.

Most of the conference presentations will be housed at the Loudermilk Conference Center, 40 Courtland Street, NE, Atlanta, GA 30303. The keynote lecture will be held at the Speakers Auditorium. Additional events will be free and open to the public.

We have reserved 75 rooms at the Ellis Hotel ($134 per night), 60 rooms at the Courtyard Hotel ($134 per night) and 40 rooms at the Residence Inn ($149 per night). These hotels are all located within one block of each other, and about four blocks from the Loudermilk Center.
On behalf of the Local Arrangements Committee in Atlanta, we look forward to seeing you there!

Prof. Louis Ruprecht
*****