[MGSA-L] New public archaeology book--an unusual one!

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 12:25:18 PDT 2014

A rather timely puplication ... in view of what is going on right now
around Amfipolis: amidst all the excitement, visit by Antonis Samaras, etc
... we only now begin to hear the locals describing the standard story,
i.e. how they always knew about local antiquities, how they almost guided
archeologists to the great tomb, etc. One ends up feeling that the
state/academia discovers what the locals always knew only when the
circumstances are right! (Just a feeling, I do not wish to downgrade the
work done in Amfipolis and elsewhere...)

[Local Greeks in Malakopi/Derinkuyu in Turkey knew, prior to 1924, about
its famous 'underground city', Turkish travel guides report that it was
discovered in the 60's 'by accident': I asked a Turkish archeologist how
the local Greeks could ever keep such a secret from the local Turks, and he
responded with a smile that "local people always knew". (For a similar
incident involving the elusive wild cat of Crete have a look at
http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou/misc/felix.html )]

... Less romantically, you also hear from locals about the money (not) made
through illegal antiquities trade: this summer, for example, someone was
telling me how his grandfather once exchanged an ancient helmet for two
mattresses :-))

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)