[MGSA-L] New public archaeology book--an unusual one!

Stroulia, Anna astroulia at usi.edu
Sun Aug 31 08:27:44 PDT 2014

Stroulia, Anna, ed. 2014. ????????????? ???????: ??????? ??? ????? ??? ???????? [Casting Kilada's Nets: Voices and Images of the Sea]. Koukkida, Athens, 208 pp. (in Greek with an English section).

I am one of the archaeologists involved in the study of Franchthi Cave, an important prehistoric site in southern Greece excavated in the 1960s and 70s. A few years back, I went to the fishing village of Kilada to conduct a straightforward public archaeology project on the relationships of local people to the cave. Local people, nevertheless, pulled me into their own world; a world full of fish and boats, fish sellers and boat builders, shipwrecks and saints' miracles, fish recipes and fish delicacies, travels from Japan to the Canary Islands and from the Baltic Sea to Brazil... Casting Kilada's Nets presents the joy, the pain, and the love of the sea through the personal stories and photographs that the residents of Kilada shared with me. Copies of the book have been offered to the people of Kilada as a gift. The remaining copies are for sale. Proceeds from the sale will be used to fund educational programs in the village.
Local people made Franchthi archaeology possible by providing labor and accommodation to the archaeologists during the excavations and by helping process the excavated remains. My career and the careers of some of my Franchthi colleagues have been built upon Franchthi archaeology. Publishing a book that honors and celebrates the lives of local people, offering it to them as a gift, and supporting local programs is the least that I and my Franchthi colleagues can do to express our gratitude and pay back our debt. -A. Stroulia

For Greek and English excerpts of the book, visit https://usi.academia.edu/annaStroulia
For purchases and donations, contact A. Stroulia at astroulia at usi.edu

Anna Stroulia, Ph.D.

Contract Assistant Professor

Department of Sociology, Anthropology & Criminal Justice

University of Southern Indiana

8600 University Boulevard

Evansville, IN 47712

astroulia at usi.edu<mailto:astroulia at usi.edu>