[MGSA-L] Program in Hellenic Studies, Columbia University: Courses Offered, Fall 2014

Katherine Stefatos ks3061 at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 29 10:11:17 PDT 2014

*PROGRAM IN HELLENIC STUDIES*

* Modern Greek Courses Fall 2014*

Website: http://hellenic.columbia.edu/

Email: hellenic at columbia.edu

Twitter: @hellenicCU

Facebook: ColumbiaHellenic

*Click here
<http://hellenic.columbia.edu/files/hellenic/content/Bulletin_MG_Courses_8_28_2014.pdf>for
the Fall 2014 & Spring 2015 courses booklet.*

[image: Inline image 5]

*INTRODUCTION TO MODERN GREEK LANGUAGE AND CULTURE I-GRKM V1101.  4 pts.
Maria Hadjipolycarpou TR 9:00am-10:50am (Cultural Dictionary/Conversation F
10:00am-10:50am 617B Hamilton Hall) 613 Hamilton Hall. *This is a year-long
course for students who wish to learn Greek as it is written and spoken in
Greece today. As part of the learning process students will acquire the
necessary skills to read texts of moderate difficulty and converse on a
wide range of topics. The class will explore Modern Greece’s cultural
landscape from political graffiti to the poetry of the Cypriot poet Costas
Montis to *parea*. *Friday class is a separate conversation hour. *

*INTERMEDIATE MODERN GREEK LANGUAGE AND CULTURE I-GRKM V1201. 4pts. Maria
Hadjipolycarpou TR 12:10pm-2:00pm 616 Hamilton Hall*. This year-long course
is designed for students who are already familiar with the basic grammar
and syntax of Modern Greek language and can communicate at an elementary
level. It aims to develop the students’ proficiency in understanding,
speaking, writing, and reading Modern Greek. In addition to these skills,
students will be exposed to contemporary cultural material (websites,
newspapers, documentary film, literature, music) that will allow them to
get a grasp of the vibrant life, language, and culture of Greece
today. *Prerequisites:
GRKM V1101-V1102 or the equivalent. Corequisites: Students are also
required to take the conversation class, GRKM W1211.*

*INTERMEDIATE MODERN GREEK CONVERSATION-GRKM W1211. 1pt. Maria
Hadjipolycarpou F 11:00am-11:50am 617B Hamilton Hall. *For students in GRKM
V1201, but also open to students not enrolled in GRKM V1201, who wish to
improve their spoken Modern Greek.

*MYTH, HISTORY AND THE MODERN GREEK NOVEL-CLGM V3100. 3pts. Maria
Hadjipolycarpou TR 4:10pm-5:25pm 114 Knox Hall. *Humans have always been
mythmakers. Myths are universal and timeless stories that reflect and shape
our lives—they explore our desires, our fears, our longings, and provide
narratives that remind us what it means to be human. History is comprised
of another set of narratives that establish our knowledge of the world as
part of an organized temporal consciousness of past, present and future. In
this class we will explore the meaning of myth and history and their
function in *mythistorima, *the Greek word for fiction, in novels from
Greece and Cyprus. Students will acquire the theoretical and scholarly
skills in reading and interpreting forms of mythic and historical thinking
and expression. Authors include: R. Galanaki, C. Montis, G. Eugenides.
Students will read selections from: Barthes, Baudrillard, Chakraparty,
Collingwood, Eagleton, Eliade, Nietzsche, Foucault, Hartog, Hegel, and
Hunt. Though this course presupposes no knowledge of Greek, students
wanting to read in the original are encouraged to take the 1-credit
tutorial offered simultaneously through the Program in Hellenic Studies
(Time and room TBA).

*DIASPORA, EXILE, IMMIGRATION-CLGM V3200. 3pts. Elena Mamoulaki *

*W 6:10pm-8:00pm 406 Hamilton Hall*. This course will investigate the
experience of diaspora, exile and migration through the lens of the Modern
Greek case. Students will explore the major movements of populations from
and towards the territory of the Greek state from the late 19th century to
the present day, and study the anthropology of forced migration and
political exile. Materials considered include ethnographic works, published
and unpublished memoirs, literature, films, documentaries and oral
histories.Though this course presupposes no knowledge of Greek, students
wanting to read in the original are encouraged to take the 1-credit
tutorial offered simultaneously through the Program in Hellenic Studies (W
5:00pm-6:00pm 515 Hamilton Hall).

*DIRECTED READINGS-GRKM V3997. 1-4 pts. *Designed for undergraduates who
want to do directed reading in a period or on a topic not covered in the
curriculum.

*DIRECTED READINGS-GRKM W4997. 3pts. *Designed for graduates who want to do
directed reading in a period or on a topic not covered in the curriculum.

*SENIOR RESEARCH SEMINAR-GRKM V3998. 1-4pts. *Designed for students writing
a senior thesis or doing advanced research on Greek or Greek Diaspora
topics.

*Click here
<http://hellenic.columbia.edu/files/hellenic/content/MG_Flyer_Fall_2014_1.pdf>to
download the list of the courses as a pdf file.*

[image: Inline image 1]
--
Katerina Stefatos
Program Coordinator