[MGSA-L] Call for papers - Hydra Rebetiko Conference - 3-5 October 2014

Ed Emery ed.emery at thefreeuniversity.net
Mon Apr 7 05:08:18 PDT 2014

[Please circulate to interested parties]

CALL FOR PAPERS

Dear Colleagues,

You are invited to propose papers or presentations for the fourteenth annual
HYDRA REBETIKO CONFERENCE

The conference will take place in the Melina Mercouri Hall on the island of
Hydra on the weekend of 3-5 October.

We are particularly honoured to have Professor Martin Schwartz of the
University of California [Berkeley], USA as one of our key speakers.

The Conference will include a special homage to the memory of the noted
rebetophile Ilias Petropoulos.

As usual, we shall bring musicians for the annual Rebetiko Supper at the
Douskos Restaurant [Xeri Elia], to be held on Saturday 4 October.  This
year's concert theme will be "Crossing Borders".

And there will be music-making sessions at various locations on the island
during the weekend. Bring instruments.

Registration for speakers is free. There will be a small charge for members
of the public attending. Attendance is free for residents of the Island of
Hydra.

Access to the Island is by frequent ferries from the port of Piraeus.

To propose a paper (or musical presentation) or to register to attend the
conference, please write to the organiser,
ed.emery at thefreeuniversity.net