[MGSA-L] First Annual Newsletter-Modern Greek Studies UoI

Katsikas, Stefanos skatsika at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 2 13:25:51 PDT 2014

Dear friends of Hellenic Studies,

I am very pleased to share with you our program's first annual newsletter - it is entitled "Annual Overview 2012-13" - with highlights from the last academic year (AY 2012-13). You can access the newsletter by clicking the following electronic link: http://www.moderngreek.illinois.edu/news/newsletters/documents/AnnualOverview201213FinalVersionApril1st2014.pdf

Due to the lack of resources, including human resources, it took us some time to create this, but as they say: "better late than never.." The next newsletter is expected to reach you around next October (2014) with highlights from this current academic year (AY 2013-14) and after then the program is planning to issue bimonthly newsletters in an attempt to be in more regular contact with its constituency. There are also plans to upgrade the program's existing social media, and possibly expand them by starting using twitter.

I wish to take the opportunity here to thank all the members of our team for what we have achieved so far and for what we are going to achieve in future: the program's advisory board and its leadership; the program's honorary members (Chancellor Linda Katehi, UC, Davis; Dean Andreas Cangellaris, UIUC; Dean Mary Kalantzis, UIUC; Prof. Kevin Featherstone, LSE; Professor Tom Gallant, UC, San Diego; and Prof. Spyros Tserengounis, UC, Davis)  for their useful advice and continuing support; the faculty, with special mention to my predecessors, Dr. Marina Terkourafi and Dr. Angeliki Tzanetou who are always there for me and the program; the program's host units (School of Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics, and the Department of Linguistics), the community, and, of course, our students.

All very best,
Stephanos Katsikas
Stephanos Katsikas MA, PhD (London) | Director of Modern Greek Studies & Language Coordinator of Modern Greek | SLCL | 707 S. Matthews Avenue, Urbana IL 61801, USA | Tel. +1 (217) 300 7188 | Fax. +1 (217) 244-8430 | http://www.linguistics.illinois.edu/people/skatsika
Modern Greek Studies Program Social Media:  http://www.moderngreek.illinois.edu/ | Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modern-Greek-Studies-at-Illinois/137216379679018
Check out my books:
Negotiating Diplomacy in the New Europe: Foreign Policy in Post-communist Bulgaria (2011, Scouloudi Publication Award, Institute of Historical Research, University of London):
http://us.macmillan.com/negotiatingdiplomacyintheneweurope/StefanosKatsikas

Bulgaria and Europe: Shifting Identities (ed.), (2010): http://www.anthempress.com/bulgaria-and-europe-hb

State Nationalisms in the Ottoman Empire, Greece and Turkey: Orthodox and Muslims, 1830-1945 (co-editor) (2012):  http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415690560/