[MGSA-L] Greek performers of classical music

Vassilios Lambropoulos vlambrop at umich.edu
Sun Sep 15 07:52:50 PDT 2013

Normally I do not send non-scholarly messages to this list, and so I apologize for this one,
but I thought this matter might have some scholarly, specifically musicological, interest.

A letter in the current (September 2013) issue of Gramophone magazine refers
to the 100th anniversary of the excellent Greek pianist Gina Bachauer (1913-76)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7oPaNk0oI
and made me reflect on the number of splendid classical musicians
(pianists, singers, conductors, violinists and so on
from Mitropoulos to Kavakos 	  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ro0vfh-2c)
who have been born in Greece or are of Greek descent
and have distinguished themselves internationally.

To take just the case of female singers,
I was thinking of Callas to Nikolaidi to Souliotis to Troyanos to Stratas
to Harteros	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kyCu5tF0o.
There seems to be a certain interpretive tradition here
though I cannot put my finger on it because I do not read music.
Certainly a dramatic one!

This may be a yet unexplored domain of Modern Greek scholarly inquiry.

Vassilis Lambropoulos