[MGSA-L] McGill November 1-15 Digest of Events

Tassos Anastassiadis tassos.anastassiadis at mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 29 13:20:07 PDT 2013

You can now follow our events and announcements on our facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/McGill-Modern-Greek-Studies/170202963168247

1/ Friday November 1, 3-5 pm
Room: Leacock 14

Documentary screening:
Greek-American Radicals from the Great Depression to McCarthyism: the untold story

followed by a Q & A panel discussion with  the author
Kostis Karpozilos (Stavros Niarchos post-doctoral fellow, Columbia University)

Discussant: Leonard Moore (McGill University)

2/ Wednesday November 13, 6-8 pm
Room: Leacock 808

Lecture: Artistic osmoses in Cavafy’s poetry: painting

Katerina Kostiou (University of Patras)

This lecture sets out to examine the connection between poetry and painting in Cavafy’s poetry, through a close reading of the poem “Aboard the ship” and drawing elements from Cavafys’ comments on the aesthetic principles of the English art theorist, author and painter John Ruskin.

Discussant: Kerstin Jentsch-Mancor (McGill University)

All events are open to the public.