[MGSA-L] New Course Offerings, Rutgers University

Elektra Kostopoulou elektrakostopoulou at yahoo.gr
Sat Oct 19 12:38:53 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

I am writing to bring to your attention our new course offerings for the upcoming semesters in 2014 at Rutgers University:

WINTER SESSION 2014

01:489:370 -- Greek Film:  Love, Eros & Death

As a winter session course, it's a compact three week immersion, from December 23-January 17. Masterpieces of modern Greek film, 1914 to present, exploring the interplay of love, the erotic, and death.  In English.  Knowledge of Greek not required.

SPRING SEMESTER 2014

All second semester courses in the basic language surveys will be offered, namely:

01:489:102 - First Year Modern Greek [Second Semester]

01:489:202 - Second Year Modern Greek [Second Semester]

01:489:302 - Third Year Modern Greek [Second Semester]

01:489:376 - Contemporary Greek Music

This is an exciting survey of the "socio-cultural dynamics of modern Greek music, from Byzantine chant, to folk, to pop-art, laiko fusion, and Greek hip-hop.  How these genres shape modern Greek social routines, world views, and emotions is also explored.  Modern Greek not required.

01:489:381 - Cyprus:  A Global History

Dynamics of empire, ethnic politics, nationalism, colonialism, and globalization as affecting Cyprus, 16th-21st centuries, and culminating in the division of the island.

01:489:386 - Twentieth Century Greek Poetry

An opportunity to study the poetry of Cavafy, Kazantzakis, Seferis, and Elytis (and that of others from the period) in greater depth. The readings will be in English translation.

01:510:255 Dracula:  Facts & Fictions

Reading the Greek sources on Dracula intensively, or studying the literature on the early modern Greek and Balkan vampire in greater depth.

SUMMER SEMESTER 2014

We are very much hoping to offer a new International Service Learning Program, based at and in collaboration with the American College of Thessloniki.We will have a description of this program, and outline of scholarship possibilities, available within a few weeks and will circulate it on this list.  We are definitely planning on having scholarship support to help out interested students.

Best to you all,

Dr. Reinert

Director, Modern Greek Studies Program, Rutgers University