[MGSA-L] Daily commute becomes a poetic experience

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 14:17:44 PDT 2013

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite4_1_16/10/2013_523465

Daily commute becomes a poetic experience

  A poster at an Athens metro stop reads: ‘I’m in no mood for work today.’
>From C.P. Cavafy's hidden poem ‘Simeon,’

Eighty years after his death, C.P. Cavafy has been given a new lease on
life – in the very streets of Athens.

In celebration of its acquisition of the Cavafy poetic archive, the Onassis
Cultural Center has decked out Athenian buses, trams, suburban trains and
metro stations with lines of Cavafy poetry and stencilled portraits of the
famous Alexandrian.

The posters, the work of the Beetroot advertising group, have been
circulating in Athens since October 14.

Coinciding with the 150th anniversary of the poet's birth, the event is
symbolic of the Onassis Center's decision to make the contents of the
Cavafy archive available to wide audiences.

The initiative “marks our stance on Cavafy's work and on how we want the
archive contents to be made public,” says Onassis executive director
Afroditi Panagiotakou. “As they circulate in the city on mass
transportation means, the verses can prove to the public that doesn't know
his work how familiar he really is, and how well he expresses the spirit of
our times.”

The Onassis Center will also be organizing an audiovisual tour at Plato's
Academy in early November. The exhibit, whose exact date will be announced
soon, will display artistic renditions of Cavafy's poetry by Greek and
foreign artists.

=====================-
June Samaras
KALAMOS BOOKS