[MGSA-L] Logos, Icon, Logo, at KCL

Van Steen, Gonda gonda at ufl.edu
Wed Nov 27 14:05:54 PST 2013

THE RHETORIC OF IMAGES: LOGOS, ICON, LOGO
King’s College London
Saturday 30th November 2013

The relationship between word and image is at once an ancient and a contemporary issue. Over the centuries, both words and images have been delivered in different ways, each of them an innovation, from alphabetic writing to YouTube, opening up new routes for communication. The continuous existence of the Greek language means that there has been a continuing debate over these issues for many centuries. The aim of our Dialogue, therefore, is to explore the interaction between words and images from Greek antiquity to the global world of today. Which is more powerful - the Word, the Image or something which encapsulates the tension between the two, the Logo?
09:30-10:00
 Registration
10:00 – 11:30   1st Session
FROM LOGOS TO ICON
10:00-10:30  Anthony Papadimitriou
President of the Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation
>From icon to logos:  a secular view of the talking image as a political phenomenon
10:30 – 11:00 Malcolm Schofield
Emeritus Professor of Ancient Philosophy and a Fellow of St John's College, University of Cambridge
Plato for and against images
11:00-11: 30 Robin Cormack
Emeritus Professor in the History of Art, University of London
>From calligraphy to icon: the early icons of Sinai
11:30 -12:00
 Coffee Break
12:00 -13:30 2nd Session

THE MEANING OF IMAGES
12:00-12:30 Liz James
Professor of History of Art at the University of Sussex
The meaning of images as things
12:30-13:00 Konstantinos Kontinos
‎Marketing Manager - New Business & Consumer Insights at Agthia Group PJSC
Imagery in the Commercial World. A short history of an ever-evolving, exciting and controversial relationship
13:00-13:30 Gunther Kress
Professor of Semiotics and Education in the Department of Culture, Communication and Media at the Institute of Education of the University of London
The relation of word and image in the contemporary world. An examination of a radically changing relation
13:30 -14:30
 Lunch
14:30-16:00 3rd Session
TEXT AS IMAGE
14:30-15:00  Georgi Parpulov
Dilts-Lyell Senior Research Fellow in Greek Palaeography, Lincoln College, Oxford University
Text as image in Greek manuscript books
15:00-15:30 Tim Stanley
Senior Curator, Middle East Collections, Victoria & Albert Museum, London
>From text to art form in the Ottoman Hilye
15:30-16:00 Sagi Haviv
Partner and designer at Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv.
Logo as identity
16:00-16:30 Coffee Break
16:30-18:00 4th Session
IMAGES OF THE PAST
16:30-17:00 Anastasios Ioannis Metaxas
Emeritus Professor, University of Athens
The rhetoric of the ruins
17:00-17:30 Bettany Hughes
Award-winning historian and broadcaster
Telling tales: the Story of Histories in filmed media
17:30-18:00 Anastasia Bakogianni
Lecturer in Classical Studies, The Open University, UK
Reception of rhetorical images through performance in Michael Cacoyannis' Euripidean trilogy
18:00-18:30 Dimitris Plantzos
Assistant Professor in Classical Archaeology, University of Athens
Beyond cultural logoization: disputed classical imageries in contemporary Greece

Gonda Van Steen
University of Florida
Dept. of Classics and Center for Greek Studies
125 Dauer Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611-7435
Tel. 352-273-3796
Fax 352-846-0297