[MGSA-L] Petition for the Support to the University of Crete

Roland Moore roland at PREV.org
Mon Nov 4 23:46:47 PST 2013

Dear list members,
A U of Crete faculty member recently wrote to a friend of mine about yet more education cuts to Greek higher education, with a request to circulate an online petition.
Although I don’t like to circulate petitions on this list and am not asking you to sign (it is up to you, of course), the background of the petition and sheer numbers of academic support staff affected in Greece should be of interest and great concern to MGSA-L list members. -Roland
From: Dr. Tassos Philalithis
Anastas E. Philalithis,
Professor of Social Medicine,
Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete.

I am writing to ask you to sign the petition for the the Support to the University of Crete
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-to-university-of-crete.html

We have started this petition because, as you will read in the Petition Background, the Ministry of Education has decided to suspend 49 administrative staff.
This is yet another of the austerity measures that have already affected us (budget cuts, freeze on appointments, etc.)
We hope that a strong international appeal for the University might influence the Ministry to reconsider its decision.