[MGSA-L] Petition against the closure of Greek Conservation

Paganelis, George I paganelis at csus.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:50:42 PDT 2013

Forwarding from another list.

-----------------------
George I. Paganelis
Curator, Tsakopoulos Hellenic Collection
University Library
California State University, Sacramento
2000 State University Drive East
Sacramento, CA 95819-6039
Ph: (916) 278-4361 * Fax: (916) 278-5917
paganelis at csus.edu
http://www.library.csus.edu/tsakopoulos

4. ["EXLIBRIS-L"] Petition against the closure of Greek Conservation
    Department - Nikolas Sarris <sarris1 at otenet.gr>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:54:40 +0200 (EET)
From: Nikolas Sarris <sarris1 at otenet.gr>
Subject: ["EXLIBRIS-L"] Petition against the closure of Greek Conservation
    Department

Greek Conservation Department at stake. Please sign the petition below.

The future of the Department for the Protection and Conservation of Cultural
Heritage of the Technological Educational Institute of the Ionian Islands is
currently at stake. The department, located on the island of Zakynthos
(Zante) was founded in 2008 as the second only tertiary educational
institute in Greece offering an undergraduate conservation course for the
much needed attention of our rich cultural heritage.
The department in its short history has managed to establish a superbly
equipped conservation unit in state-of-the-art facilities, able to support
the training of students in six purpose-built labs in a recently inaugurated
building. The four year program offers training on the conservation of
organic, inorganic and modern materials.
Our analytical laboratories are better equipped than most conservation
facilities in the country and include XRF, XRD, Raman Spectroscopy, GC-MS
Chromatography, FTIR, Laser Cleaner, etc, able to conduct high standard
conservation research, promoting the science and conservation of artifacts
internationally.
However, the Greek Ministry of Education, has struck our department unjustly
and without reasoning and by the end of the academic year it will be shut
down, leading our staff to immediate unemployment and hundreds of students
without a future to their studies.
The closure of our department is yet another strike towards the conservation
profession. In the last years, courses throughout Europe are being shut, the
level of training is compromised and jobs in museums, libraries and
institutions are being cut down fiercely, jeopardizing the future of our
cultural heritage.
We need your help and hopefully through this petition to prevent the closure
of this important academic institution and to help the future of
conservation training in Greece.
If you support our cause please sign the petition and circulate.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/greek-conservation-department-at-stake/

Thank you for your help,

Nikolas Sarris
Nikolas Sarris, PhD
Book & Paper Conservation, Assistant Professor
Technological Educational Institute of the Ionian Islands
Dep. for the Protection and Conservation of Cultural Heritage
Zakynthos 29100 Greece