[MGSA-L] Greek far-right party teaches history to kids

Aristide Caratzas acaratzas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 02:19:58 PST 2013

To correct the distortion of the "historical record:"

Whether or not Mrs. Repousi quoted Clogg is not the point, and I think the "hyperborean (sic?) academic" knows this. A historian's integrity dictates that (s)he go to the original source. It took a couple of days to find Mrs. Repousi's book —  Istoria ST Demotikou: Sta Neotera aki Synchrona Chronia— hence this delayed response.

The chapter titled "Asia Minor: Campaign and Catastrophe," on page 100 devotes a total of four paragraphs to the subject; the last paragraph reads [translation mine],

"One year later, the Turkish forces, led by Kemal, attacked and forced the Greek troops to retreat towards the coast. On August 27, 1922 the Turkish army entered Smyrna. Thousands of Greeks crowded into the port trying to board ships to leave for Greece."

Below the last paragraph is a map of northwestern Asia Minor and a "Glossary," which includes fours terms. The last is "Kemal Ataturk," who is described as the "leader of the liberation struggle (sic) of the Turks and later the president of the Turkish Republic."

There is nothing about the presence of Greek populations in Asia Minor, either in terms of time (thousands of years) or extent (probably a couple of million). Indeed there is nothing about the fact that the Greeks (and the other Christians such as the Armenians and the Assyrians) were the targets and victims of a planned campaign of extermination,  these plans having been drawn up and executed successfully by the Committee of Union and Progress, and later completed under Kemal Ataturk; this was the substance of his "liberation struggle," at least according to the foremost Greek Turcologist Neoklis Sarris. These "akatonomasta" historical facts (to borrow a term from Mr. Anastassiadis) constitute for serious scholars the first genocide of the twentieth century.

One cannot wholly blame Mrs. Repousi, as the subject of the genocide of the Greeks of Asia Minor has been neglected by the Greeks themselves, probably deliberately. Certain mentalities have dominated: for the conservatives, not to dwell on subjects that may offend the Turks, while the leftists consider "nationalist" any critique on predatory Turkish nationalism . . . Mrs. Repousi's own words provide one level of explanation: when discussing her aforementioned comment on Kemal she stated, "There are also truths of other people. There is their truth" [presumably that of the Kemalists]. (quoted by In.gr, June 9, 2007 -  http://news.in.gr/greece/article/?aid=808446).

One wonders if Mrs. Repousi and her friends are equally ready to be understanding of the "truths of other people," if the name of the people and their leader were different, say instead of "Greeks," "Jews," and instead of Mussolini's friend "Kemal Ataturk," it was "Adolf Hitler." (Interestingly this understanding attitude when it comes to hideous crimes such as genocide, holds for those aligned with both extremes of the political spectrum, fascists and leftists).

Finally, as for Mrs. Repousi's education and interests; she is kind enough to post these — see the links below. While she states that she has a "Doctorat" in history from Paris I, Sorbonne, it is clear that her experience and interests, which are certainly fashionable, are tangential to the subjects she covers in her schoolbook. Then again, this may explain why she ignores the question of the Christian genocide of Asia Minor. . .
http://users.auth.gr/marrep/PS_REPOUSI/index_el.html

Aristide Caratzas

Aristide D. Caratzas
Telephone: 30-697-228-5442