[MGSA-L] Greek far-right party teaches history to kids

Syrimis, George george.syrimis at yale.edu
Fri Mar 1 12:42:32 PST 2013

I have a photo of Greek graffiti that reads: "Our grandfather were refugees, our parents migrants, we racists?"

Let us all stay vigilant of shifting semantics and fates. The refugees who flooded main-land Greece at the time were not exactly welcomed by the local population as national brothers.  And yes, there was ethnic cleansing in Cyprus in 1974—I know from personal experience—but I also know that my own village was ethnically cleansed in 1964 when the Turks were expelled. I used to play in those abandoned and looted houses as child oblivious to the fate of its former inhabitants.  And since history has a way of repeating itself in uncanny ways, after we—the Greeks—left in 1974, the Turkish Cypriots co-villagers returned and took home in our abandoned houses. I did not read all these in any history books.

GS