[MGSA-L] Greek far-right party teaches history to kids

Aristide Caratzas acaratzas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 02:14:19 PST 2013

We would like to thank June Samaras for posting the Turkish Hürriyet Daily News article on the educational activities of the Golden Dawn party in Greece.
I would like to note the heavy-handed irony in this, when "progressive" Greek-speaking individuals, with tangential academic degrees have left a gap in the secondary education cycle, some of which is being filled by this marginal right wing group.
One example of many is the lady, who with degrees in French Literature and one that passes as "historiography," effectively denied the genocide of the Greeks and other Christians of Asia Minor. In her version of the sixth-grade "history" text, the Greeks "crowded the Smyrna quay," whether to  go on vacation, it was after all August-September 1922, or to escape extermination in not clarified . . . Thankfully, and for the record, this version of "history" ultimately was  rejected.
One final note on Hürriyet: it is presently an informative, relatively objective publication. There was a time however, around July-August 1974, as the invasion and ethnic cleansing in Cyprus were unfolding, when Hürriyet ran on its front page a poem which gloated about killing Greeks . . .

Aristide Caratzas

On Feb 28, 2013, at 10:24 PM, June Samaras wrote:

> Greek far-right party teaches history to kids
> ATHENS, Greece - The Associated Press
>
> http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/greek-far-right-party-teaches-history-to-kids.aspx?pageID=238&nID=42031&NewsCatID=351
>
> Leader of the extreme-right Golden Dawn party Nikolaos Mihaloliakos
> delivers a speech during a gathering in Athens February 2, 2013.
> REUTERS/Yorgos Karahalis
> Greece’s extreme right-wing Golden Dawn party has defended its
> decision to give Greek history lessons to primary school children at
> one of its offices.
>
> The government and mainstream parties have condemned the practice by
> Golden Dawn, which rejects the neo-Nazi label but is fond of Nazi
> literature and references. It also has often been accused of attacks
> on immigrants.
>
> The lessons began last week with children whose parents accepted an
> invitation at a party office in a small town near Athens. But the
> party said in a statement Wednesday that it will continue "national
> awakening" courses for its "little friends."
>
> The education ministry said no party has the right to "manipulate"
> children. The main opposition radical leftist Syriza party accused
> Golden Dawn of "brainwashing little tots with Nazi propaganda."
> February/28/2013
>

> --
> June Samaras
> 2020 Old Station Rd