[MGSA-L] Anemoskala: Modern Greek Poetry Corpus and Concordance. A new website by the Centre for the Greek Language

Maria Akritidou maria.akritidou at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:01:28 PDT 2013

Dear fellow member of the MGSA-List

The Centre for the Greek Language <http://www.greeklanguage.gr/> is pleased
to announce the launch (in beta) of a new website:

Ψηφίδες <http://www.greek-language.gr/digitalResources/index.html>

για την ελληνική
γλώσσα<http://www.greek-language.gr/digitalResources/index.html>

The new website complements and extends the already available resources of
the Portal for the Greek
language<http://www.greek-language.gr/greekLang/index.html>.
It will include text corpora, linguistic tools, multimedia resources etc.
(see the attached pdf for more details).

Of special interest to members of the MGSA list is
Anemoskala<http://www.greek-language.gr/digitalResources/literature/tools/concordance/index.html>:
a fully searchable corpus/concordance of  Modern Greek Poetry. At present,
users have access to full works by Anagnostakis, Varnalis Kalvos,
Kariotakis, Sachtouris, Seferis and limited access (word list and contexts)
to works by Sinopoulos.

We implement the international TEI schema (TEXT ENCODING
INITIATIVE<http://www.tei-c.org/About/faq.xml>)
to create a digital version of the texts and allow for a rich tagging of
text properties· the significant differences though between poetical works
from the 19th century in traditional verse all the way to the prose poems
by Sinopoulos, for example, has led us to adjust the TEI schema to the
needs of a searchable concordance that incorporates these different texts.
The project is ongoing and still in beta phase, so feel free to contact me
personally (see here
<http://www.greek-language.gr/digitalResources/literature/tools/concordance/contributors.html>for
a list of the project's contributors) with any queries or even suggestions.
We are constantly updating and correcting the already published material
and working towards incorporating more poetical works· as things stand, we
hope to provide full access to works by Kavafis, Palamas, Valaoritis,
Solomos and limited access to concordances and word lists derived from
works protected by copyright, for which we were not able to obtain
permission for full online access (i.e. works by other poets of "Generation
of the Thirties" and the first post-war generation). We also hope to soon
make available the rest of the Modern Greek Literature Resources currently
under development by the Department of Language and Literature (see the
attached pdf for more details).

Maria Akritidou

Center for the Greek Language

maria.akritidou at gmail.com