[MGSA-L] Aegean Arts Circle Workshop

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 19:03:05 PDT 2013

From: Amalia Melis <amalia at aegeanartscircle.com>
Date: 23 July 2013 19:10

To: info at aegeanartscircle.com

** * * * *

* *

*Aegean Arts Circle Workshop THREE with travel writer **JOHN MALATHRONAS in
Andros*

*Sept. 1st  - 6th*

*www.aegeanarscircle.com *****

*Workshop Description:**  Travel writing workshop: Using ANDROS as a “live
subject” *participants will learn about  note taking, avoidance of clichés,
concentrating on people rather than yourself, editing, research. This is
more or less useful for any writing assignment.****

*Travel Journalism * pitching, the role of PRs, copy writing, advertorial,
the state of the industry, exhibitions, WTM, strategy, guidebooks. This is
particular to travel writing.****

*Social media:*  travel blogging, Twitter, Facebook, again the state of the
industry,  software and apps, which ones to go for, exhibitions (TBEx and
TBU), strategy. General info for any writing assignment with focus on
travel writing. ****

*Images:*  travel writers are now expected to provide images, so some
basics about composition and taking publishable photographs: from sloping
horizons to the rule of thirds, cropping and free software to use for
slight corrections. Picasa (free) will be the s/w employed. ****

*What participants will get out of  it.*

Generally out of pitches and stories received by magazines, only 1 % get
accepted. My intention is to make the attendees get a better hit rate. The
tone of the seminar will be mostly practical.****

*Writing improvements. *Such as avoidance of florid language, clichés,
topic sentences etc.****

*Travel Industry knowledge.* Where and how to find jobs, organisations to
join, pay expectations, building up a portfolio etc.****

*Marketing.*  How they can develop a social media strategy.****

*Images.* Although this is not a photography workshop, they will all be
able to compose better pictures, at the minimum.****

Biographical Note on *JOHN MALATHRONA**S*****

I am a versatile travel writer and photographer who has dipped his fingers
in as many pies as he speaks languages. In previous incarnations I used to
be a music journalist, a computer programmer and a database administrator,
as well as the author of a Wildlife Nature Guide. ****

My writing range is wide: I have published three travelogues with
Summersdale;  I have written articles for popular newspapers and magazines
like The Sunday Times and Travel Africa; I have contributed online pieces
to Skyscanner, Sky Travel, Nine MSN and mixed media such as the Atlas
series for the Discovery Channel; and  I have co-authored several
guidebooks by Michelin and the Rough Guides. ****

Finally, I have a well-regarded blog, *The Jolly Traveller* at
www.malathronas com and I am very active in the social media sphere,
tweeting and blogging as I move over the breadth of our planet. Oh, and for
the record, I speak Greek and German fluently, good Portuguese and Spanish,
as well as tourist French and Italian plus a smattering of Hungarian. ****

To Register for this workshop, please contact: info at aegeanartscircle.com
and visit: www.aegeanartscircle.com ****

** **

[image: AAC Logo]****

*Aegean Arts Circle Creative Writing Workshops*

*www.aegeanartscircle.com*

* *

* *

* *