[MGSA-L] Montreal chapter of Golden Dawn continues to stir controversy

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 12:27:23 PST 2013

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/12/03/montreal-golden-dawn-greek-montreal-update.html

B'nai Brith meets Greek Montrealers to discuss anti-immigrant group
CBC News Posted: Dec 3, 2012 9:26 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 5, 2012
10:26 AM ET Read 34 comments34
Golden Dawn draws more controversy3:36

The Montreal chapter of a controversial right-wing anti-immigrant
Greek nationalist party, Golden Dawn, is holding a food drive for
Christmas — but the food is to be distributed only to Christian
Greeks.

It's the latest move by the organization that many Greeks, political
observers and human rights advocates accuse of being racist.

"This is racial discrimination in its worst form," said Montreal city
councillor Mary Deros of the Christmas food drive.

"If you see children in schools of different races, will you only feed
one community group and allow the other children to go hungry?"

Members of Golden Dawn's Montreal chapter spoke to CBC News last
October, defending the chapter's drive to collect food donations at
that time to send to Greece, for those described as "real Greeks."

"Based on what we see everyday and based that we saw Greek people
starving, we decided to contact them to see if we can help them," said
Spiros Macrozonaris, Golden Dawn's deputy leader in Montreal, in
October.

Golden Dawn supporters slam CBC reporter
Now Macrozonaris and other members of Golden Dawn Montreal are
refusing to grant interviews to CBC News, and Joanne Vrakas, the CBC
journalist who filed earlier reports, has been confronted in person.

"One person went as far as telling me I should be ashamed of myself,"
Vrakas said.

She's also been derided on Youtube, where her reports have been
posted. Some of the posted comments have included offensive remarks
towards Greece's Jewish and Muslim communities.

B'nai Brith meets with Greek community
"To them, a Jew is not a Greek," said Quebec's regional director for
B'nai Brith, Anna Ahronheim. "Jews have a very long history in Greece,
so how can you say they're not Greeks?"

B'nai B'rith recently met with representatives of Montreal's Greek
community to ask for their position on the party's presence in
Montreal.

"I think it's a black mark on the community in Montreal, that we have
such an organization in our ranks," said Nicholas Pagonis, the
president of the Montreal Hellenic Community.

The son of Golden Dawn Montreal's deputy leader, Nicolas Macrozonaris
— a champion Canadian sprinter — found himself tarred as the "son of a
neo-Nazi" by someone who changed his Wikipedia page.

He issued a statement in the wake of the controversy around his
father's membership in Golden Dawn.

"I personally do not approve my father's political beliefs," said
Macrozonaris, "however, I am 100 per cent certain my father is not a
racist."

'False pretense of patriotism'
Golden Dawn members in the United States have told CBC News they plan
to open chapters shortly in Chicago, in Connecticut and in Toronto.

Some Greek Montrealers who have immigrated to Canada in the past
decade say they believe the movement is growing among Greeks
long-established in North America because many haven't followed
closely Golden Dawn's actions in Greece, and the party is appealing to
what George Gkockas calls "the false pretense of patriotism."

"I don't think people in Montreal grasp this exactly," said Gkockas,
who left Greece in 2009. "They're Canadian, and they don't know
exactly what the Golden Dawn has been involved in back in Greece."

"On average, the Greek Canadian household is slightly more
conservative than the average Greek household," said Theo Zanos, who
came to Canada in 2004. "It's not bad, but it does provide the fertile
ground for the rhetoric that Golden Dawn has been spinning."

June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd
Streetsville,Ontario
Canada L5M 2V1