[MGSA-L] Hotel Rates and Other Information for MGSA Symposium at Indiana University

Hess, Frank flhess at indiana.edu
Mon Jan 7 19:10:16 PST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

In case anyone's still trying to decide whether or not to submit an abstract for the upcoming Symposium, I have some additional information that I hope will persuade you to take the plunge.  The conference will be held at the Biddle Hotel and Conference Center in the Indiana Memorial Union.  The hotel is a first class facility, and the conference rooms will be right next door to the hotel.  We've secured very reasonable rates for the conference:  Single rooms will be $105 on Thursday and $125 on Friday and Saturday.  Doubles will be $145 on Thursday and $175 on Friday and Saturday.  We also have a limited number single Kings and Double queens at slightly higher rates.  The limosines from the airport will take you straight to the front door of the hotel in a little more than an hour.  I can safely promise you that, as far as convenience goes, this will be as hassle-free as a conference can be.

The Indiana Memorial Union has a wide variety of dining options available from fast food and Starbucks to the Tudor Room, which features a very reasonable priced and high quality lunch buffet. Additionally there is a wide variety of dining options available within a 15 minute walk of campus from the Michelin-starred Tallent to Nick's English Hut (founded by Greek immigrant Nick Hrisomalos and featuring one of the best locally sourced burgers you'll find anywhere) to our local microbrewery and brewpub Upland.  Virtually every ethnic cuisine is represented in downtown Bloomington.  Many restaurants feature locally sourced ingredients.  In short, the culinary scene here is thriving.

Indiana University's campus is also one of the most beautiful public university campuses in the Midwest.  It features several small forests, an arboretium, a section of reclaimed prarie, a creek-walk, and varied architecture that is unified through the incorporation of local limestone.  For fans of music, our Jacobs School of Music, consistently ranked 1st or 2nd in the nation, provides a wide variety of high quality concerts, most of them free.  There's also a thriving local music scene that feeds off of the music school's talent and provides entertainment in our bars and restaurants.

In short, Bloomington will be a change of pace as a conference destination, but not a change in quality.  I look forward to hosting you here!

Regards,

Frank

Franklin L. Hess

Coordinator, Modern Greek Program